How much will i lose????

cowoman

its the Limousin,Haute Vienne......cow country .We do go to Limoges and find it is a its a nice city.Where we have bought  is easy for the airport too.I am not sure if I know your area,I will have to get my map out .Have you looked up your house on google earth?We did ours in England and it was  a nice clear picture but our french place is hopeless you can hardly see any detail,dont know why.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive done google map and I can just see the house but thats because its in a hamlet in the middle of knowhere its a blured picture, if it was in a city or big town google will take better pictures, I think google  fly over and take photos every 2 years, my area is between la rochelle and poitiers in france

[quote user="Catalpa"]I'm pleased you got there in the end, Cowoman... though I'm really miffed I missed the pix. I'll post a photo of ours "under de-construction" and I'm sure that'll make you feel much better. I'll have to upload one so I'll add it to this post later.

Edit as promised showing serious de-construction:

[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/angos/oddz/-kitchen.jpg[/IMG]

That is how one side of our kitchen started out... the little cubicle in the corner is, of course, the loo. [:P] That was not reinstated during re-construction.

[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/angos/oddz/-kitcheneastend.jpg[/IMG]

And that is the east gable of the kitchen. The breezeblock wall was removed to make one large room and the east end is all re-pointed stone.

Bad or what?? [;-)] Trust me, Cowoman, however your house starts our, with enough love and care (and some money [6]) you will achieve what you want.
[/quote]

I see some fotos of a ruin held up by modern walls. Without wishing to give offence, what was there to restore? The beams are rotten, the rest is breezeblock. Surely this was a case for flattening the whole lot and starting again.

Thanks for this.It does look daunting,but I bet youve got it all sorted now.Can you put an after picture on here to stop the wise cracks.I bet they will be eating their words when they see it.Like you said with determination and hard work you can make the dream come alive.Thanks for kind words its much appreciated

Thank you for the confidence, Cowoman. [:D] Don't worry about the WoollyTag - I've seen far too much of him on various forums and I know that while he may try hard to be clever... his cracks are never wise. [:P]

I'll pm you some of the after photos. [6]

My crack was not a crack in this case. Having been there and done it, I now seriously wonder whether some of the properties which people take on are worth while and whether the end result is not a modern house in a very thin veneer of old skin. In which case, why not start from scratch.

The fotos shown above suggest that there is very little that is worth saving or original in that house.

As a means of making money, perhaps, but there are other ways.

CATALPA
After seeing your wonderful after pictures I can safely say that you have done a fantastic job on your renovation project and now have a house to be proud of.If our house looks half as good as yours  when its finished then i will be well chuffed.Thanks for cheering me up and giving me a confidence boost.I know that we will sort ours out now.

Its funny how some people cheer you up and lift up your heart and others make you feel fed up with a heavy heart

thankyou you have inspired me.

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]How? I only doubted the wisdom of trying to make silk purses out of elderly sows' ears? Except to make money of course by flogging them to fluffy eyed Brits.[6][/quote]

I think there is a lot to be said for buying a property like this particularly if there are some features to salvage. We bought an old stone property and paid for a roof, electrics,central heating, fosse septic ect..Unfortunately, we have to replace everything. I have said we would have saved a lot of money if we had bought a ruin in the first place. The only advantage I guess is that the house is very habitable and we have been able to stay there and can take our time with the work.

But I do envy Catalpa, it must be so much easier starting from scratch. [:)]

Sold the bl  oo  dy place for a little modern house with character. NOW I think there are better things to do with life than be a slave to a heap of stone or Brico projects, and that starting over again I would have bought modern with cellar and garage underneath and saved a lot of money, heartache and worry. The day I sold the house you can see in the clip in the previous post or so was the day a weight was lifted from my shoulders.

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]...there are better things to do with life than be a slave to a heap of stone or Brico projects...[/quote]Exactly why we plumped for a modern (ish) property which essentially just needed dragging into the modern day from the 1970's, it's still got bamboo wallpaper in the lounge for gawds sake, and only one layer too, which probably means it's original as put up when the house was first built !

Makes life easy for us after 20 years of property renovating in UK.

[img]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/CombeBrune1.jpg[/img]