paint pad

Mrs Trellis

I know I've been away for 4 years now, but in my part of the Alps we could get paint pads in Castorama, Mr Bricolage, intermarche brico, leroy merlin etc. I have bought them a few times and never got away with them.

So do you have to water down the paint? as it always felt hard work and I couldn't manage them at all. As it is me who does all the painting chez nous, then I grew to like some rollers, but not all.

Ditto, have seen them for sale in Bricomarche, and Conforama. But have never got on with them. They didn't deliver the smooth lines as promised!! Or is it a case of a bad work(wo)man always blaming their tools???????

Just as in the UK they are not something that can always be found on the rayon but appear as promos or on shopping TV channels.

I think they prefer to sell them on the alleged results and economies via a demo than have someone pick them up off the shelf and compare them to the price of a brush or roller.

Mind you given the price of a roller refill in France..........................................

Thanks, what I suspected, that I should be watering the paint down, but never dared. I bought paint pads in around 1979-80? maybe earlier, certainly gave them a go before I left for France and couldn't use them. Then I bought some in France many years later still couldn't use them. Think I bought two lots in France. When we finish unpacking boxes we may find them[:D]

I'm not a messy roller'er, and am happy roller'ing. Well in so much as I am 'happy' decorating, which is not that often.

I like them, I have never found it necessary to water down the paint, in fact the thicker the paint the better the finish and the coverage, I find. I certainly wouldn't consider diluting French paint.

The only time I have found that a roller is better is when painting on heavily-embossed paper or (perish the thought) the dreadful woodchip. I am sure I have bought paint pads in France in the past, but I think they were comparatively expensive.

[quote user="Will"]I like them, I have never found it necessary to water down the paint, in fact the thicker the paint the better the finish and the coverage, I find. I certainly wouldn't consider diluting French paint.

The only time I have found that a roller is better is when painting on heavily-embossed paper or (perish the thought) the dreadful woodchip. I am sure I have bought paint pads in France in the past, but I think they were comparatively expensive.[/quote]

I totally agree, with the additional comment that care should be taken to not overload the pad. They are, IMHO, far easier to use than rollers, much less messy.

So what am I doing wrong then? I have watched people on tv using them. I have even watched youtube videos and it feels like I am dragging the thing across the wall, very very hard work for me and a roller is far easier. If nothing else, I can only go by how I feel.

I did find decent french paint eventually. My only problem with it was the price, I always found it very expensive.