Thermostatic shower problem

stan

I had just had a brand new thermostatic shower mixer (Bricomarche) installed, however I can only get very hot water or very cold water...nothing body friendly inbetween !

When I switch on the shower and the temperature setting is at the standard 38C, the water is cold, and remains that way. When I move the temperature control to increase the watere temperature, I have to turn it all the way up as far as it goes, before there is a change in water temperature (ie from cold to scalding). When I then turn the control all the way back to cold, it remains scalding hot until the control has been at the coldest setting for about 30 seconds, then it turns cold. When I then try and increase the temperature, I have to turn it to the hottest setting, and let it remain there for about 30 seconds again to let it change from very cold to scalding...then we go round in vicious circles. Everything between the maximum settings is either freezing or scalding. In effect, I cannot use the shower.

Faulty thermostat? Proper pipe diameters and French connections (pardon the pun) have been used. Any ideas?

The good thing about using thermostatic shower mixers here is that they are fed by hot and cold water at the same pressure so they should work perfectly.

Our's never moves away from the temperature setting we use even when my OH decides to put the washer on or run the tap while I'm in the shower

IMO I would say its the unit thats faulty

[quote user="Théière"]

Is it actually fitted correctly, cold to cold side hot to hot?

[/quote]

I am wondering what difference would that make? Certainly when I turn the control towards the max hot setting, it gets hotter, and colder when turning it to the max cold setting, so if this is the case, would it not be correctly fitted? Stumped !

I visited a flat several years ago that had one fitted, that acted up too. Originally I thought it was a difference in pressure between the cold supply and the hot (UK not France) went through and connected a pressure pump (double ended H&C) but that didn't sort it either. I declared the unit faulty, removed it and found it plumbed ass about face.  Just trying to make a suggestion to check.

I tend to agree with Teapot although I can't explain how it would have that effect you're experiencing. Usually the hot supply is on the left as you look at the mixer. Without dismantling it, when it's running hot can you feel the unions behind the mixer to tell which is hot or cold?

Ours runs like JB's, never fluctuates even if the WC is flushed or the hot water run in the kitchen etc.

Sounds to me like the wrong way round as well.

We can have five showers all running at the same time (guests before breakfast) and never a problem. I think at the time I paid about 25 Euros for each unit at Brico Depot. Ten years on and still going strong.

I agree about the wrong connections theory. I did exactly the same with a new thermostatic mixer with identical results. I even took mine off and returned it as faulty and it was only when I was installing the new one that I realised what I had done. So I reversed the feeds and it has been fine ever since. [Www]

Wrong way round.

When I re-did my bathroom, I got it into my head that French hot n cold were the other way round to UK, or ......well, I dunno what I was thinking. Anyway, I plumbed in the sink, toilet and shower, tested for leaks and then closed the placo, decorated etc. It was only then I noticed my mistake. I like the thermostatic shower design, but short of fitting it upside down there was no way for it to work properly. To get it working I swapped over the hot and cold feeds where they go into the bathroom and are easy to get at. It works fine now. The sink controls are the "wrong" way round but I dont care about that, and I now have a hot-flush toilet.[I]

Another really usefull piece of knowledge gained from the mistakes of others.

So is there a convention for which side is hot and cold and do all thermostatic shower mixer and perhaps bath/basin mixers respect it?

I am thinking is this something that one should look out for when replacing an existing item?

I'm pretty sure it's a standard, not just in France, hot on the left, cold on the right. Every mixer tap I've ever bought is manufactured in this format. With kitchen taps you could swap the red and blue markers and it would still work, but the fact that they come with the red on the left must mean something.

Unlike the electrical normes I haven't a clue where to look for this for confirmation.

EDIT I've just found on one brico forum that Grohe sell a convertor for the case where the pipes have been set up incorrectly. I've no idea what this would look like but not very attractive I should think. I've never bought Grohe stuff, far too expensive for me!!

Thanks to all who replied. Once I double check that the hot and cold are indeed reversed (my mistake then), it will be easy enough to repair as both the hot and cold branch off indiviual pipes that are next to each other so it will just be a case of switching them around...but I will get a plumber to do this !

[quote user="sid"]

I'm pretty sure it's a standard, not just in France, hot on the left, cold on the right. Every mixer tap I've ever bought is manufactured in this format. With kitchen taps you could swap the red and blue markers and it would still work, but the fact that they come with the red on the left must mean something.

[/quote]

You are correct Sid, in the case of mixer taps the convention means hot comes out of the middle of the tap with cold around the outside. the idea is an anti scald thing, of course it doesn't work if you just have the hot tap running [:D]

Not the same problem as Stan's, but one over which I'd appreciate some advice.

Over the last year or so, it has been necessary to gradually crank up the temperature 'tap' in order to get a comfortable temperature. It's now got to the point where it's against the stop and the water is pretty lukewarm - not a big problem at this time of the year, but it will be in Winter!

The mixer is at least ten years old and the water is extremely hard in our area.  No problems with the hot water supply, i.e. it's plenty hot enough. The hot (lh) side of the mixer is really hot when the shower is running.

My theory is that either the thermostat is knackered or that any filter on the hot inlet is completely clagged up with ****. 

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, the forum was correct...the hot and cold were round the wrong way. 20 minutes with a proper plumber fixed it and thermostatic shower now working perfectly. Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, it is much appreciated.

• 2 months later...
[quote user="Gardian"]

Thanks Frederick.  You're right - it's the 1st thing to try.

Will advise how I get on (it may be more than a few weeks before I take the plunge!!)

[/quote]

Well it was 3 months before I got round to it.

I removed the mixer and gave it a good clean including a dose of the old white vinegar.  Re-fitted it and  ................ no difference.

Took the line of least resistance and went out to buy a new one. It works a treat.[:)]