water pressure regulator

headinclouds

Hi,

We have a stopcock just before a large brass 'thingy' that I assume regulates water pressure into the rest of the house.  I needed to turn off the supply to fix a leak just after the meter outside, when I turned the water back on the pressure was low - so low it won't hold open the mixers for the showers (if you see what I mean).  Does anyone know if these regulators can be adjusted, or if a layperson like me could sort out the problem before we have to call in a plumber.

Many thanks

There are many different designs of pressure regulators and they are very simple devices. Most if not all will be readily dismantled for inspection and cleaning however whether it's practical in any particular case depends almost entirely on the capabilities of the individual.

I would respectfully suggest that having to ask the question might be an indication that a plumber may be the preferred option [blink]

We had the same problem, including the problem with the mixer tap. It seems a piece inside the water pressure regulator that controlled the flow had corroded over time, rather than having to have it replaced our plumber managed to buy the piece needed, not a mean feat as it must have been more than 40 years old!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, fantastic, thanks Jo!  Mr plumber didn't turn up so I've sorted the leaks, sorted the regulator and serviced the boiler myself.  All working great now.  The regulator did need a good clean out, and there was some c**p in the pipe so it was worth taking everything apart - plus I learned a few things too.

Cheers

Yeah right, and I wonder how many French people take the blindest bit of notice of it, or annual chimney sweeping - which reminds me we have not had any of the usual calls from chimney sweeps demanding to be allowed to sweep mine coz it's the law - but it's early days !

[quote user="AnOther"]Yeah right, and I wonder how many French people take the blindest bit of notice of it, or annual chimney sweeping - which reminds me we have not had any of the usual calls from chimney sweeps demanding to be allowed to sweep mine coz it's the law - but it's early days !

[/quote]

I know two people who have boilers, one gas and the other oil. They only have somebody out when they go wrong or every couple of years or so for a service, certainly not every year.

I always thought, but may well be wrong, that the chimney thing is about insurance i.e. if you don't get it cleaned and the tar or whatever catches fire then your not covered. I use one of the blocks you buy and set fire to which melts the tar or whatever it does. They come with a certificate for the insurance. Mind you it's all a bit academic if your house goes up in flames as the paperwork will no doubt go with it. [;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="AnOther"]Yeah right, and I wonder how many French people take the blindest bit of notice of it, or annual chimney sweeping - which reminds me we have not had any of the usual calls from chimney sweeps demanding to be allowed to sweep mine coz it's the law - but it's early days !

[/quote]

I know two people who have boilers, one gas and the other oil. They only have somebody out when they go wrong or every couple of years or so for a service, certainly not every year.

I always thought, but may well be wrong, that the chimney thing is about insurance i.e. if you don't get it cleaned and the tar or whatever catches fire then your not covered. I use one of the blocks you buy and set fire to which melts the tar or whatever it does. They come with a certificate for the insurance. Mind you it's all a bit academic if your house goes up in flames as the paperwork will no doubt go with it. [;-)]

[/quote]

So I did a bit of digging:

Code général des collectivités territoriales - Article L2213-26

dictates the bit about having to sweep your chimney.

The site

http://www.securiteconso.org/article351.html

has an interesting article regarding the efficacity of chemical chimney sweeping products

And finally the text of the law requiring annual servicing of gas boilers is here.

I think we're all going to die of suffocation under all the red tape rather than of carbon monoxide poisoning ... but servicing is only one part of the issue with gas appliances: blocking-up of air intakes and misuse of appliances can turn the best-serviced appliance ito a killer.

So it begs the question as to why you get these silly certificates in with these things you burn? I suspect then that the bottom line is you need to prove you have had your chimney swept to the insurance company if there is a fire else they won't pay out any claims.

I am just wondering, from a technical point of view, that if you have a modern metal flue liner and you have a fire in it will it actually melt. Should you try and put it out or will it burn out on its own without damage?

Depending on the actual grades and with stainless steel coming in at the lower end typically both steel and stainless steel will have melting points in the range of 1350-1450deg c and I doubt that any chimney fire is going to produce anything approaching that !

Your typical wood burner would not be expected to produce temperatures much above about 500deg c

If you did have a flue fire then shutting off the air supply at the stove should extinguish it.