Spotlights in Bathrooms

Alex H

I have had 2 spotlights installed in our bathroom.

[IMG]http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/alexh01/pic2.jpg[/IMG]

Should they be 12v?

If so, can someone please explain this diagram to me, which seems to indicate that the 240v lights I bought should be fine for the location[8-)]

[IMG]http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/alexh01/pic1.jpg[/IMG]

I read the information sheet to mean that IP23 fittings are OK in zones 2 and 3 for France, or zone 3 only outside of France.

They don't have to be 12v.

In our bathroom where we have 5 x 240v spotlights, the two which are over the bath and shower are IP44 with a sealed glass cover, whereas the other 3 are IP23 and have the GU10 bulb accessible directly.

I think these zone definitions have changed in the last year or so and the leaflets may not be up-to-date.

I have no idea what the diagram number 11 is meant to say! 

[quote user="sid"]

I read the information sheet to mean that IP23 fittings are OK in zones 2 and 3 for France, or zone 3 only outside of France.

I have no idea what the diagram number 11 is meant to say! [/quote]

So do I - our electrician thinks otherwise.

I think no 11 means 'connect the mains' (after installation)

[quote user="sid"]

What does your electrician say?

[/quote]

The guys that came to fit them, said I could not have a single light in the centre of the room (as originally requested), but I could have spotlights, but they must be 12 volt.

After spending about 30 minutes in Leroy Merlin buying some, making sure I got the right thing( from which came the instructions above), they said they could not be fitted as they are not 12 volt. Well I've now been in touch with their boss who is coming to see for himself [:)]

If I'm wrong, then thats fine, but I would like to know why L-M are selling them like that if that is the case.

Our bathroom was newly built and fitted out in 2006; the electrician insisted on the IP44 lamps for over the bath and shower.

The "normes" changed in 2008. I have the first edition of the electrician's "bible"  L'electricite comme un pro so just now I have downloaded the addendum. This is something I should have done ages ago as I have a subscription to the Comme un Pro website. I find that IPx3 (eg IP23)  fittings are not allowed according to their latest diagrams!!

If you send me an email I may be able to give you more information but be warned, it's complicated!!!

So, it looks as though your guy is correct!! The voltage is not relevant in itself, it is the degree of protection offered by the fitting that is important, basically the degree of water-tightness.

This doesn't make existing installations inherently dangerous, but it's worth considering updating when you come to decorate for example. There must be thousands of homes wired up to sub-standard normes.

We live and learn, live being the important thing here where electricity is concerned.

I have 12volt IP23 spots above my baths/showers in zone 1, the transformers are outside of the room in a vide services accessable only from the salon.

I am expecting them to fail Consuel through not being the correct IP rating, we will see if he checks whether he takes a pragmatic view.