Oil storage Tanks

NickP

We had an oil fired Rayburn for years in the UK and never had the tank cleaned out as far as I remember. I've spent a bit of time on a farm and never recall them having their diesel tanks cleaned either.

I'd drain it then have a look inside, I wouldn't worry about it unless for some reason there's loads of sludge in it - or if you don't have a filter fitted. If the tank's really dirty then it might be at the end of it's life.

It shouldnt need cleaned as such, unless it is very old indeed and rusting internally. If thats the case, best change it.

The main problem is a buildup of water in the fuel, which forms a layer at the bottom of the tank. Condensation on the exposed internal parts drips into the fuel and settles to the bottom. If its an above ground tank, you may be able to drain off any water in it if there is a drain plug at the bottom. If its an underground tank, you need to either fully drain it and separate the fuel in another holding tank, or mess about with a suction pump, a probe that goes to the tank floor and some clear tubing so you can monitor the state of whats coming out.

I recently got rid of two tanks - one was a cylindrical tank of about 2000 litres. It had about 6 inches left in the bottom but it was mostly water. The other was a steel cube that had been unused for decades, which had to be cut up to be removed. There was a noticeable tide-mark inside where the lower 3/4 was ok and the upper 1/4 was quite rusty due to condensation forming as it obviously never got filled to the brim.

It would be madness to not have a filter in the line to the boiler.....doesnt have to be complicated, just a basic inline thing available from any car parts shop will do the job.

Some friends here in the village had a steel one cleaned a couple of years ago and it cost 450€  [:-))]; there are special charges for the disposal of the waste.

There was a thick layer of sludge in the tank and they were having new oil boiler installed; the chauffagiste recommended cleaning. It actually would have been about the same price to simply fit a "plastic" one alongside and just abandon the old one; space wasn't an issue.

Apparently using lower grade fuel oil can cause a build-up of sludge. Our heating guy always comments on how clean our filter is, but we only use the premium grade oil.