bulk insulation / glass wool / mineral wool

oemodm

Hi all,

I'd like to buy 1000 to 2000 sq metres of insulation. I figure on this quantity can buy from a factory at lower pricing.

Does any one have any tips on who to contact?

(doing the usual, googling factories in Europe)..

thanks / simon

[quote user="oemodm"]Hi all, I'd like to buy 1000 to 2000 sq metres of insulation. I figure on this quantity can buy from a factory at lower pricing. Does any one have any tips on who to contact? (doing the usual, googling factories in Europe).. thanks / simon[/quote]

You don't say what sort? rock wool type stuff or multi-layer reflective stuff. or the polystyrene stuff for walls. Is it for DIY or something more?

DIY stuff is any where between 4-10€ a sq metre depending on what you want.

to be honest, it's cheaper to buy it in the UK and hire a big van and drive it to france yourself

Erm, a roll of typical glass fibre insulation covers  5 to 6 sq metres. At that rate you'd be buying 200-400 rolls! I can't imagine the size of the FLEET of lorries you'd need.

This is serious trade quantity and surely beyond the scope of a forum like ours?

glass wool or mineral is the cheapest kind (as so many sq m needed).

This will be for 2nd renovation, I regret not having having "super" insulated the first project. I also believe insulation should be cheaper by being able to bulk buy individually factory direct or as a group purchase.

So far the ideas are:

- Contacted all URSA factories in Europe (spain, france, poland, UK) to see if they accept bulk enquiries

- Quotes coming from China.

- The building merchants in UK don't offer that great prices.

- Sponsored insulation prices from uk in 2011 and 2012 will not happen again (wickes confirmed by email enquiry).

This would be about 60% a full truck load.

thanks / simon

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="BIG MAC"]I wouldn't necessarily believe Wickes...they aren't the shapers of policy. I bought a shedload off B and Q last year[/quote]

Last year is, so last year [:)] that deal came to an end and as Wickes are owned by Travis Perkins that information is correct. Saddly an end to super cheap supplies for the time being.

Incidentally the Tri-iso 10 people have a new product that concertinas and is supposed to be equivalent to the 200mm of mineral wool (at last) This is not the standard stuff this is a new product. take a look at their website. I have the info but I have to be on my way out now.

EDIT:

Actis, the french multifoil manufacturer make their new product Hybris

The cheap deals on insulation materials were a result of Government policy which required energy companies to spend money on energy efficiency initiatives.

The first round of this was giving away, or virtually giving away light bulbs. The next phase, which ended in December 2012 was subsidising insulation.

The funds are now being directed towards solar panels, better boilers etc under The Green Deal.

If you want to wait for the next change of policy......

Has it actually ended, officially that is?

Its just that while it was running it was often said that its ended, no more cheap insulation, and indeed 11 months of the year there wasnt until there was a mad scramble for various utilities to give away money before a certain date to avoid paying a higher price in green taxes, it was variously British Gas, EDF and I am sure there are other names printed on the insulation that I have remaining. It was like this for several years, "no mate, all come to an end innit!"

If it doesnt come again it wont be the end of the world for me but I do still need some and bringing back a lot of it to sell the excess covered the extra ferry and fuel costs for my large box trailer.

If you are over 70 or on benefits you can still qualify

But the emphasis is now on professionally installation rather than selling DIY rolls of glass fibre.

As for u turns, one can be expected fairly soon.

The money has been diverted towards the Green Deal which has such a low take-up that it is bound to be revised. There aren't that many people prepared to take out loans for up to 25 years to cover energy saving projects.