Paint for shutters

woolybanana

[quote user="Frederick"]I used Bondex the stuff they recommend for shutters ... Quite expensive  but I got  six years out of South facing  before it started to flake .
[/quote]

You beat me to it. Years ago I watched what the locals use which is Bondex so that’s what I use. I hate painting so anything that you can do once and lasts six or seven years works for me. Best result is either to spray (take them off it only takes a second or two) or paint but 'slap' it on nice and thick. Do keep in mind that there are higher levels of UV down south so 'Wicks' paint just won't do the job. I know somebody who swears by the Wicks stuff, he brings it over every year to paint his shutters, s*d that for a game. In the end just the paint costs two or three times that of Bondex over 6 to 7 years not to mention spending hours every years painting the bloody things.

I use V33 or Syntilor. Had 6 years out of both of those. Last year I used some of the Leroy-Merlin exterior paint, Luxens, (at least I think it's their brand, no-one else seems to sell it) and it looks good this year, and it was cheaper.

I hate painting!

Presumably all these paints are now water based. I'm not convinced about their performance outside. Here tradesmen can still obtain and are still using, oil based paints and they're also still sold in some DIY sheds close to marinas.

Indoors, water based seems OK on doors etc but coats seem to dry thin and it scratches easily unless an undercoat is used on previous oil based paint.

I used a water based acrylic white metal paint and all exposed metal areas showed rust bleeds immediately despite their being properly cleaned and treated. Leroy Merlin insisted I did something wrong, but changed it anyway (to Hammerite) . Seems obvious to me - water+steel=rust.

I've got my wooden shutters paint job coming up and I think I'll get a tradesman I know to get me a good quantity of oil based and store the remainder. I'm only worried about the price......

Steve

I only use paints where I can clean the brushes in water.

They work fine; 6 years is not good enough? I never got that performance in UK even with the most expensive paint; maybe because the wood had never been seasoned properly?

Hammerite has changed in any case. The old stuff was better but I've found that the old Hammerite brush cleaner and thinners doesn't work with the latest version of their paint. The finish soon loses it's shine in the French extremes of temperature. There are good metal paints in France, but the only paints I don't like are the emulsion types and for ceilings I still use UK paint (when I can get it).

Even car finishes are water-based now!

All I can say Wooly is look at what the locals use because the French don't like painting either and the definatly don't like wasting money. I don't have a clue if Bondex is water or spirit based as I buy cheap brushes and bin them after use as I hate washing brushes as well. I have also learnt that painting shutters, especially south facing down here, is all about getting as much on as possible regardless of finish as they tend to 'suck' up the paint like a sponge.

As to actually painting them I now spray them as I have a compressor. Spray or paint I found the best way to get as much on without runs is to take them off, put them flat on the lawn, paint one side, wait a day then do the other. A quick sand with an electric sander first of course just to give a 'key' to the surface.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Frederick"]I used Bondex the stuff they recommend for shutters ... Quite expensive  but I got  six years out of South facing  before it started to flake .
[/quote]

You beat me to it. Years ago I watched what the locals use which is Bondex so that’s what I use. I hate painting so anything that you can do once and lasts six or seven years works for me. Best result is either to spray (take them off it only takes a second or two) or paint but 'slap' it on nice and thick. Do keep in mind that there are higher levels of UV down south so 'Wicks' paint just won't do the job. I know somebody who swears by the Wicks stuff, he brings it over every year to paint his shutters, s*d that for a game. In the end just the paint costs two or three times that of Bondex over 6 to 7 years not to mention spending hours every years painting the bloody things.

[/quote]

I once made the mistake of recounting the above old chestnut about UV levels to my husband, who asked, incredulous: " so, do people really believe they sell different paint in different parts of France? How does anyone make paint for Lille and Nice?"

Our shutters were last painted about 8 years ago with paint from B&Q, and they are just about ready to be done again. Some of them.

My friends shutters are still immaculate after 16 years without a single chip or the slightest peeling, the paint finish is 100% intact, hasnt faded (its French blue) and there is not a brush mark in sight.

He is French and doesnt like painting as Q has pointed out, he had them painted in a low bake spray booth using 2 pack automotive paint, a very shrewd move as it has turned out.

[quote user="sid"]

They work fine; 6 years is not good enough?

[/quote]

I'd surprised if V33 or Syntilor were water based six years ago. The old tins that I have aren't but maybe I bought them before that. Bondex appears to still be oil based. 

[quote user="sid"]

Hammerite has changed in any case. The old stuff was better but I've found that the old Hammerite brush cleaner and thinners doesn't work with the latest version of their paint.

[/quote]

It's certainly different to when I first bought it in 1965, only hammered finish and only sold through Exchange and Mart. Never bought the thinners or brush cleaner though, it's just rebadged acetone.

[quote user="sid"]

[/quote]

Yes, aren't they thin, don't they chip easily....

Steve

[quote user="SC"][quote user="sid"]

They work fine; 6 years is not good enough?

[/quote]

I'd surprised if V33 or Syntilor were water based six years ago. The old tins that I have aren't but maybe I bought them before that. Bondex appears to still be oil based. 

[quote user="sid"]

Hammerite has changed in any case. The old stuff was better but I've found that the old Hammerite brush cleaner and thinners doesn't work with the latest version of their paint.

[/quote]

It's certainly different to when I first bought it in 1965, only hammered finish and only sold through Exchange and Mart. Never bought the thinners or brush cleaner though, it's just rebadged acetone.

[quote user="sid"]

[/quote]

Yes, aren't they thin, don't they chip easily....

Steve

[/quote]

I've still got a couple of the original tins (nearly empty) so that I can get the same or similar colours again. Definitely brush clean in water. V33 and Syntilor are microporous too, which is better for exterior wood, provided you ensure that the wood is dry to start with.

Car finishes: Going off-topic, but this is where you want a thin coat with as smooth a mirror finish as possible; you don't get that with thick coats. Yes, they do chip if hit by flying stones, but you're hardly likely to be chucking stones at your shutters. I had my last car 8 years and it didn't fade or chip. I think you have to move with the times. French exterior paint definitely has my vote.

You did ask, and you've had several recommendations. I find this a lot on here; people ask for advice and then argue about it.

I take the shutters down to paint them incidentally; it makes the job easier, I can do it in the workshop, and you get a nicer finish. 2 coats essential.

Sid, I used up some Hammerite on an old wheelbarrow the other day, and as I wasn't too fussy about the finish  I used an old brush I was going to throw away after the job. Well as I do sometimes I suddenly got an attack of the means and thought; I can get some more use out of that old brush, but to my horror I couldn't find any Hammerite thinners so in desperation I tried Petrol, it worked a treat to clean the brush. [I]

Sid wrote:

"You did ask, and you've had several recommendations. I find this a lot on here; people ask for advice and then argue about it."

END QUOTE

I don't think Wooly argued about the advice given, Sid. At the top of this page he thanked everybody profusely for their views.

Angela

Loiseau, you got the wrong person, I meant SC in this case, questioning facts, doubting whether the paint I used was actually what I said it was, and then telling me how poor modern car finishes are! The stuff I used wasn't opinion, it was actually what I used 6 years ago!! (7 years ago actually) I can't be any more honest than that.

No offence to Wooly, who has never been offensive to me.

I don't mind having my opinion questioned.

I wasn't trying to be offensive Sid and I'm sorry if it came over like that. I said "I'd (be) surprised if V33 or Syntilor were water based six years ago...... ", and now you've told me that they were, I am surprised. Clearly the move to water based consumer exterior paints happened earlier than I imagined, although I knew that some German car makers had made the change in the 90s.

Steve