Sur-vitrage (PVC panels for windows)

monsieur macon

Has anyone installed these PVC or metallic panels to old windows in order to increase insulation and create double glazing? I need to fit them to a number of large very old but nice wooden framed single glazed windows. The cost of changing the windows would be horrendous, thus the idea of fitting these panels to increase comfort and save energy...

thanks in advance....

We have installed one sliding aluminium unit on a large bedroom window, flush with the inside of the "bay"(its an old house and the walls are nearly 3 foot deep).This has given a deep gap between the two windows which has decreased heat loss and made the room more comfortable. The unit (nearly 5 foot wide) slides so half can be opened in the summer to open the outside window. The only problem encountered so far is condensation on the external window. There are of course drain holes on the French windows to allow condensation to drain out, so you get an exchange of air inside the unit, so you will never equal the efficacity of a DG window. I have just put in a dehumifier bag to counter this. The other 9 window and door units in the house we have just changed ourselves with PVC units from Leroy Merlin. The made to measure ones were very expensive, but the ready made ones were just a bit smaller that the original old units. We bought these and made the openings for the windows smaller and fitted the ready made units in. The difference is incredible.

thanks for the reply....yes, i have to cover three very large windows, around 200 X 150cm in small pains of glass, very pretty but very ineffective in terms if insulation. Made to measure windows would be around 1500euros a piece!!! Thus i'll go for the PVC and glass fixtures that at least will increase the insulation properties and not considerably change the aesthetic of the windows......

[quote user="monsieur macon"]... and not considerably change the aesthetic of the windows......[/quote]

Friends of ours replaced each single pane of glass with a double glazed unit; it cost quite a bit but nowhere near the cost of replacing their large window frames. Aesthetically the windows look the same as before but there is a noticeable difference in the warmth of their rooms.

The upside of this was they found they could do one room at a time as nearly all the rooms have 2 large windows and it would have been impossible to afford to have them all done at once.

Sue

If you want a "try before you buy" idea, you could do as we have done for our upstair velux. Gifi shop sells thick, clear flexible plastic for table covers. I built a light weight frame that fits in the recess the velux sits in. I sandwiched the clear plastic on the frame and during the winter, use this as a type of triple glazing. It is very effective in stopping the 'fall" of cold air. Admittedly, its not as clear as glass, but if you have a room you are not using in the winter, you could make one up to try.

thanks for all the helpful replies....i have now made up some sur-vitrage panels from Castorama, cut 4mm glass and PVC profiles....the made to measure options came out at around 600euros for the three windows...the finish may be slightly better, but i've managed to DIY the three units for less than 200euros! There is a noticeable difference in drafts and the glass is less cold, given the space between the two pains....overall a good compromise compared to made to messure windows at around 1000euros a piece!!!Gosh!!!