dismantling (and mantling!) a chauffeau

Gyn_Paul

One of my 2 x 200L chauffeaux decided to leak - with some ferocity - yesterday, from around the plate which holds the element (down the bolts, down my arm, soaking my sleeve ; the usual thing). Tightening the nuts, of course, had no effect, so clearly it is en route to the tip.

I have (yet) another one which is physically sound, but with a dead element. I though to pull the good element out of the leaking one, and install it in the mechanically sound one. Unfortunately, although they are both 200L with 2200W elements, the register plates are different (one has 5 bolt holes, and the other 6).

I've stripped off and cleaned all the gunk (mostly sand and only a bit of calc as we are blessed with water only very slightly hard), but cannot for the life of me see how to remove the element/thermostat assembly from either plate.

What's the trick? Or are replacements sold complete with the plates (unlikely, I should have thought) ?

paul

Some time later......

I discover the whole connector/thermostat assembly in attached by a pair of spade connectors. A bit a gentle persuasion with a spoon (to get under the depression of the base plate) and off it comes, revealing a nut or allen bolt which holds the actual element in place.

Turns out the 'dead' resistance was ok, and it was in fact the thermostat which had failed. So a bit of a wash-and-brushup and it's good to go. Good job I didn't cart it off to the tip last month

Still need to get the leaking bugher off the wall, though. Inspection of the plate and the surface it mounts onto shows sufficient rust and pitting that it will never make a 3 bar seal - always assuming it was that and not some part of the tank itself leaking under the foam.

So if you hear a loud noise it will be 200L tank progressing down 3 flights of stairs in a somewhat uncontrolled manner!

p