• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Will"]

[quote user="Panda"]

I think Will is nn luurrrve! [/quote]

Oh, zut alors.

You spotted it. Yes, I have become fluffy.

[/quote]

You've always been fluffy Will, I'm glad you have now come out (who's going to tell them!)

Your fluffy!, not stuffy! be proud of it!  (said in a sing-songy voice)[:D]

Panda,

unfortunately, i don' have a lot of luck with juries[6] but I can assure you I am not a 'wrong un.' but keep the jury out if you want.......... a long trial is fine by me, I keep my freedom[:P]

edit: of course wills fluffy...............;you haven't seen the painting

[quote user="artsole"]and 5 element, you don,t know who you are talking to either................ so whats the point in saying that[6][/quote]

Picasso, you're right, I don't know who I am talking to - and I am always aware of that....which is why I don't get personal.  I am not the one who makes the assumption that people are stuck in their home because they fear the Big Bad Wolf of the Great Outside.

I have read the Wikipedia article.

I think we are at cross-purposes. I have quoted examples from the local press it's true, largely because people who read boards like the Creme de Languedoc accuse me of being negative, and I wanted to give some external evidence, rather than relying on my own anecdotes which people seem to think I have invented, but  I am well aware of the agenda which lie behind media coverage.

I have also quoted a site where French people give their opinions of the towns in which they live, and where statistics on things like unemployment, average wage, and details of demography are available. Anyone can also check these things on Insée or Quid.

I agree with Will that the two countries have more in common than is generally stated: in particular the reasons often cited for leaving the UK are often things which are equally present here,but less obvious to British people who have a shaky grasp of the language, and aren't fully at home with the culture, so don't always see what is going on.

To give one more link from today's paper:

One poster ironised pleasantly about the rise in rural crime in his départment (the Aude), citing such things as traffic infractions.

I wonder if he read the account of 250 police arresting a ring of 30 drug dealers in the same idyllic area cited here:

http://www.midilibre.com/articles/2008/02/10/20080210-REGION-Aude-250-policiers-sur-la-piste-d-39-un-vaste-trafic-de-stupefiants-Trente-interpellations-hier-principalement-a-Castelnaudary.php5

I don't see this as moral panic. It's just a counter to the idea that Rural France is Crime free...

Groslard - I'm very interested in local affairs but I'm afraid I can't get too worked up by local press articles in either country, though I accept that some do. And lack of language skills or no inclination to take an interest in what is going on in their immediate vicinity in a new country can often lead to those one-sided views. I'm not personally touched by crime in either France or England, so I feel secure in both, although I can see with my own eyes that neither place is Utopia. That may appear selfish, but it's the truth, and I think it's in line with what Artsole said earlier referring to living in the red light district. 

The moral panic article was interesting. I kept thinking of the way certain sections of the British media, several of which should really be less hysterical, have turned the archbishop of Canterbury's remark into something approaching yet another hate campaign against Islam.

Still, it's a nice afternoon, and the thought of Artsole sitting in the square with a glass or two is giving me a desire for a pastis myself, so that's an end to seriousness for now.

[quote user="Will"]

Groslard - I'm very interested in local affairs but I'm afraid I can't get too worked up by local press articles in either country, though I accept that some do. for now.

[/quote]

You mentioned a 1 side view.   i do think that many English in France still read English news and dont follow French news in the same detail.  As English news is full of woe, and they dont see the French equilvalent, it is natural that they think the same problems do not exist in France.  

France in the English papers is either stereotyped or full of praise eg the French go on strike for their rights and always get what they want etc, and they believe that.