Looking to buy in Languedoc

carl1

Happyali - all you saw on the lovely video (designed to attract tourists, holidaymakers, and potential buyers, remember?) is exactly as shown.

But everything that Groslard said is also true, and he provided some evidence. There is a lot going on beyond any tourist brochure. For instance, there is a lovely video about my own little town, where we have a very progressive mayor. Naturally, on that video, you don't get to see the alcoholics sprawled on public benches day in and day out, you don't get to see the queues of poor people waiting for food distribution at Restos du Coeur or Banque Alimentaire. You don't get to see the beautiful river banks strewn with rubbish, or the fights at night between the local gypsies and Maghrebins. I am sure nobody would ever describe all this in great detail in the "Creme du Languedoc" - the name itself being self-explanatory.

Now, if you feel you can live with the contradictions, and depending also on which particular area you choose to settle, you might be happy in Languedoc. But don't kid yourself that there will not be racism, drugs, very high council tax (taxe fonciere here - mine is over 1,000 euros p.a. for a very ordinary place without land), and as for "the peasant types" that so appeal to you for chatting, many of them are deeply suspicious of strangers - exactly like in Cornwall. You caould also remember that Paris and Nancy are quite a long way off. When I go to N.E. France by train, it takes between 10-12 hours, much less to Paris admittedly.

If by "happy forum posts" you mean  where none of those issues is ever acknowledged or even mentioned, if you want to live in a fantasy world, well, perhaps you can manage that... if you have enough capital and if you are determined to keep your eyes and mind firmly closed when the environment does not live up to the tourist brochures. I have British friends here who do just that, they have not a clue of what happens around their area, or much idea about the rest of France and the French either.

Personally, I am happy knowing all I can about my immediate environment and beyond, it makes my life more complete. I love this area, warts and all. But you might find that Groslard does, too, maybe you should ask him?

Good luck to you, whatever you end up doing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[IMG]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/sheeponabike/Rockstore.jpg[/IMG]

This is The Rockstore in Montpellier. Well known for it's Cadillac

porch. Really the only place for miles where you can go and see decent

rock/blues. Great atmosphere, dirty, smokey standing room only with a

bar at the back and terrible accoustics - in short, perfect [:D]

Happyali

I think GL was simply trying to balance the picture that the "holiday brochures" paint.

Yes there is much that is good. there is much that is bad - just like Cornwall, Sapin or just about everywhere I have visited.

We tend to be conditioned by these brochures and also by our holiday experiences - your comments about the weather in Cornwall point exactly to that the UK belives Cornwall to be mild, you paint another picture.

Likewise you seem to imply that the South of France has perfect weather - well in our part, we also had 3-4 weeks of summer - mostly in April.  Winter temperatures dropped to -10 degrees so far and nothing exceptional in that, and when the Mistral blows, as it does for days on end.................................................. well google Mistral

In fact happiali I would say that Cornwall has a lot in common with the Languedoc, in terms of the attitudes of the local population to outsiders.

There is also a local language, Occitan, and a lot of fishermen and abandoned mines.

I am happy here, but the OP said he wanted to find the equivalent to Chichester, so I was trying to do him the favour of pointing out that a lot of the towns here are not like that at all: perhaps a bit like Redruth?

Welcome to the forum Happyali, I am sure that all posters would be sad to hear that you were near to tears. I tend to agree that the Languedoc is similar to Cornwall (if we are trying to draw comparisons) and has both Tourist Brochure Charm and the potential negatives associciated with a poor(ish) rural region.

To be happy I guess you will either need to accept both (and many people of course,  like both) the gritty realism and the warm summer evenings sipping pastis ... or, do what many retired Brits do in the south of France (or Londoners do in Cornwall): use "money insulation" - mingle with like-minded, wealthy-immigrants and avoid the locals.

To finish on a positive: Carcassonne is a very nice town (with many newly-retired-good-disposable-income-anglophones) and thanks to Ryan-Air the locals are quite used to us Brits being amongst them.

I only live 40 minutes away (OK in the Midi Pyrenees, rather than Languedoc) and I have to say the people we've met have all be very polite and courteous ... and a reasonable number positively warm and friendly. Certainly no worse (in fact better) than either small town Wales, England or Germany where I have lived before.

Dry those tears and keep your chin up! Best of luck!

Well what can I say....... firstly thank you all, and even Mr. Groslard.  I think I have taken in too much of the hype and probably because I have had enough of the UK even though I live in such a  beautiful place with almost nil crime. The thing that worried me the most was the racism I cannot stand it here so I would be mortified if my grandchildren  were a victim of this.  I have had a rethink now. I will move up towards my family say a 100 mile radius of London and then I shall take a holiday to Languedoc and then go on to my sister in Spain. Even she misses wet and windy essex mainly for the friends she had there.  My kids will be happy about this as none of them really wanted me to go so far especially on my own.  So there we are, better to learn the bad things now than to get there and be in for a nasty shock, so thanks for all the information. best wishes to you.

I think if one is to be perfectly honest, if you don't like racism, or are of non-European appearance (particularly a bit Arabic) then France is probably not a good country in which to live. Political correctness has yet to find its feet - though many would see that as an advantage.

[quote user="Ian"]I don't like racism - yet I do find France a very good country to live in.

[/quote]

But you are more likely to suffer from Xenophobia than racism.

The huge support for the FN (National Front) in the Languedoc can be seen in the results of the 2002 elections.

Sarkozy has pinched some of their electoral base, but only by appealing to their baser instincts.

A little while ago, when the cinema club in my town wanted to put on a showing of 'the Battle of Algiers' (an Italian made film about torture and atrocities during the last years of French rule in Algeria) a contingent of thugs from the FN turned up and things got nasty.

Don't forget too the large number of 'pied noirs', French born in Algeria, but forced to leave when independence was declared.

These things don't affect the British here, but are simmering away under the surface, just as old Second world war grievances between families thought to be collaborators and other who were in the Resistance continue in some villages.

Until you get to know people really well, and this is not easy for those whose French is not very fluent, these thorny issues remain hidden.

I agree that racism (and homophobia) exists - in particular amongst the older generations of both French and "ethnically-European" immigrants.  One can only hope that this anachronism will eventually die out.

Like most people I have black, asian and gay friends and of course find the occasional remark I hear to be offensive, though I must admit it goes in one ear and out the other, usually with me saying "I totally disagree" and moving the conversation on.

Any xenophobic prejudice directed at me personally has thus far been water of a ducks back...I tend to be thick skinned and consider it "banter".  Likewise the odd comments directed at Americans or Germans. I'm sure I make plenty of cultural faux-pas myself.

Fortunately the FNs popularity dipped dramatically in last years presidential elections to less than 11% of the vote nationally (I've just looked it up!) - their top departements were Aisne and haute marne in the North of France (around 17% of the vote) and the Languedoc came in at around 12-15% depending where you look (so not "huge support" though I agree a significant protest vote).  This was le Pen's worst result for as long as I can remember. 

The FN polled only 4% of the vote for the national assembly and only won one (I think) seat (again in the North if I remember)....didn't bother to look this up.

Inevitably new arrivals to any community will be met with a mixture of warmth, welcome, suspicion and on occasion hostility.  The onus is also on us to be understanding, considerate and flexible.  That said to the 5-15% (is that all?)of the population who'd rather I not live here...tough! I am and I love it!

I have been reading this thread with great interest. At present we live in Burgundy, La Nièvre (58) in the Morvan and have done so for approx. six years. It is a fantastically beautiful area and we are extremely happy here. However, we are "getting on a bit" and the winters here do tend to be very long and very cold. So, having holidayed in the Languedoc for teens of years, we have been considering making a permanent move to the Aude within the next 2/3 years. Our major worry is whether or not we would be welcomed/accepted in the south. We admittedly had the same worry when we moved here from the U.K. We needn't have worried! We have made good friends here and have only once suffered anything akin to a hostile reception from a French local (from a doctor in a hospital during a routine mammography examination.) We've only had one problem with neighbours (English!) We're not looking for an English enclave and would want to integrate with our local community. Would appreciate any comments, info. and/or advice. Where would you recommend? Are there any areas where incomers are particularly resented? We'd like to be in a country village (with bar, bakery etc.) A bit of garden would be nice and a wonderful view, if possible. I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" type of question but all comments and replies would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sue.

You might enjoy the area around Minerve.

It is technically in the Hérault but on the border with the Aude. 

There are English people around,  (especially near Olonzac) but also an active cultural life in some of the villages: I went to a series of concerts celebrating 400 years of Monteverdi's opera "Orfeo".  This may not be your thing, but at least it shows that there is more than hunting wild boar (which can be the only distraction in some parts)

see: http://www.minerve-tourisme.com/#

Suesmith - you can find further info on the various villages around the minervois here - www.hautminervois.fr .

A number of the communes listed could meet your requirements of  a good view , garden - village amenities etc. and the countryside , though different from Bourgogne, can be equally stunning.

I don't think you would have any problems coming from Bourgogne or being English in origin. (Paris is a different matter and there is a certain antipathy towards the Bordelaise though that is mainly within the wine trade). 

Only downside may be the climate - whilst the winters may not last that long here they can be very cold (-10c is not uncommon) and pretty damp and miserable when the Marin blows.

rgds

Hagar

Thanks very much, grosland and hagar, for your replies. Will have a good look at the sites you recommend. We had been veering towards the Corbières but can now see a whole new vista opening up before us. Should be an interesting few years before the final decision is taken. Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Sue.

• 2 weeks later...
I was hoping to persuade my wife to move with our 2 girls aged 9 & 12.

We plan on looking around the area of Baillurgues due to the bilingual school being there.

Do you think you have given the Languedoc an unfair image?

I plan to move from Liverpool were Gun crime is rife,drugs are everywhere,evening news bulletins constantly carry stories of murders,robberies,knifings etc etc etc.

There is a total lack of respect by the youth, Booze culture is defiantly a problem with the young, and the violence in town centres at the weekend is horrible.

Now.... i could go into all the other issues like 360 days of rain , rip off petrol prices,taxes,high house prices,Euro 2800.00 council taxes p.a., car owner targeting for increase revenues etc etc etc.

surely the Languedoc would be an improvement on all this???

[quote user="5-element"]

Happyali - all you saw on the lovely video (designed to attract tourists, holidaymakers, and potential buyers, remember?) is exactly as shown.

But everything that Groslard said is also true, and he provided some evidence. There is a lot going on beyond any tourist brochure. For instance, there is a lovely video about my own little town, where we have a very progressive mayor. Naturally, on that video, you don't get to see the alcoholics sprawled on public benches day in and day out, you don't get to see the queues of poor people waiting for food distribution at Restos du Coeur or Banque Alimentaire. You don't get to see the beautiful river banks strewn with rubbish, or the fights at night between the local gypsies and Maghrebins. I am sure nobody would ever describe all this in great detail in the "Creme du Languedoc" - the name itself being self-explanatory.

Now, if you feel you can live with the contradictions, and depending also on which particular area you choose to settle, you might be happy in Languedoc. But don't kid yourself that there will not be racism, drugs, very high council tax (taxe fonciere here - mine is over 1,000 euros p.a. for a very ordinary place without land), and as for "the peasant types" that so appeal to you for chatting, many of them are deeply suspicious of strangers - exactly like in Cornwall. You caould also remember that Paris and Nancy are quite a long way off. When I go to N.E. France by train, it takes between 10-12 hours, much less to Paris admittedly.

If by "happy forum posts" you mean  where none of those issues is ever acknowledged or even mentioned, if you want to live in a fantasy world, well, perhaps you can manage that... if you have enough capital and if you are determined to keep your eyes and mind firmly closed when the environment does not live up to the tourist brochures. I have British friends here who do just that, they have not a clue of what happens around their area, or much idea about the rest of France and the French either.

We plan on looking around the area of Baillurgues due to the bilingual school being there.

Do you think you have given the Languedoc an unfair image?

I plan to move from Liverpool were Gun crime is rife,drugs are everywhere,evening news bulletins constantly carry stories of murders,robberies,knifings etc etc etc.

There is a total lack of respect by the youth, Booze culture is defiantly a problem with the young, and the violence in town centres at the weekend is horrible.

Now.... i could go into all the other issues like 360 days of rain , rip off petrol prices,taxes,high house prices,Euro 2800.00 council taxes p.a., car owner targeting for increase revenues etc etc etc.

surely the Languedoc would be an improvement on all this???
[/quote]

Yes, anywhere in Languedoc would be an improvement on Liverpool for me, but that is a very personal matter. It might be because I lived (for too long) in the north of England, and being French, I was longing to go back to France.

I really can't see why you would think I have given an unfair image of Languedoc at all, I have given you the image of Languedoc that I know. Plenty of firearms here, (although they belong to hunters, usually) and plenty of booze too, consumed by young and old alike. Council taxes (taxe fonciere and taxe d'habitation) are outrageously high where I live, but as I don't live in a large town, it cannot be compared to Liverpool. 

Liverpool has its good sides: isn't it the cultural capital of  Europe right now? Plenty more culture in Liverpool than in Baillargues, you can be sure of that.

If you want to come to Languedoc because you think you will be getting away from gun crime, drugs, murders, robberies, knifings, booze, violence, rain, petrol prices, taxes, high property prices, car taxes, then I am not sure that Languedoc will do it for you..... But then I don't know anywhere that would....

[quote user="siellis"]

[/quote]

Have you visited Baillargues?  Like much of that area, it is mostly lotissement, and growing.   It's also right next to Junction 28 of the A9 motorway, one of France's busiest motorway sections.  If you want "dream" France, with cheap property and low house tax and hectares of land, Baillargues probably isn't the place for you.   Nor do they give petrol away, it's hovering around 1.30 euros a litre right now, give or take a couple of centimes.  

[quote user="Nice Cup of Tea"][quote user="siellis"]

[/quote]

Have you visited Baillargues?  Like much of that area, it is mostly lotissement, and growing.   It's also right next to Junction 28 of the A9 motorway, one of France's busiest motorway sections.  If you want "dream" France, with cheap property and low house tax and hectares of land, Baillargues probably isn't the place for you.   Nor do they give petrol away, it's hovering around 1.30 euros a litre right now, give or take a couple of centimes.  

[/quote]

What a smashing name you have chosen, "Nice Cup of Tea."

kind regards,

Leo

ps.

Sorry to OP for going off topic