Insulating roof

Simon

Finally getting round to insulating the rear rooms of my renovation, the walls are already sorted, but the roof is a simple terracota with roofing felt affair. I have 80mm rafters that I intend to expand to 130mm and then pose 80mm PIR between then completing the ceiling with 25 - 40mm PIR backed plasterboard.

The local builders merchant has a good choice of polystyrene (XPS in the main), but I cannot find PIR. Does anyone have an opinion on PIR vs Polystyrene perfromance, and where can I find PIR in France without paying an arm and a leg? eBay UK has some real bargains and I am prepared to ship if necessary.

Regards

Simon

I contacted this company in Spain and asked for retailers or distributors in my area.

I spoke to them in Spanish by telephone, but I think an email in English would do the trick.

The prices in France were not as low as those in UK, but less then UK cost plus shipping.

i imagine you have a traditional roof configuration, with the roof pitch visible from inside the rooms? In that case, i've always gone for the "sandwich" boards, i.e. BA13, insulation of around 150mm, wooden finish roof side ready for tiles. Not sure if you can do this, but the comfort factor and thermal resistance is very good.

For modern known pitched ceilings, i.e French new builds....I whacked 300mm of "laine de roche", "rock wool" which has made a huge difference. Bear in mind that RT2012, or today's building regulations in force in France are for 300mm or RT = 8.00 for the roof.....but you can arrive at this thermal resistance however you wish.

• 4 months later...
Hi Simon

I have used PIR for a roof and wall insulation. I found Aubin Eco Environnement in France. They sell XtraTherm and Kooltherm insulation. Both of these exceed anything you will find in XPS, so are much better.

Someone there speaks english as well. Devis and factures were in French but self explanatory.