Lead flashing?

Jonzjob

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Can anyone tell me what lead flashing for roofs is called in French please?

[/quote]

Bande de recouvrement solin

I recently had to have some done, and didn't know either.  (And 'Word Reference Forum' only offered exhibitionisme, for flashing.) 

As I am sure you will be aware, they quite often seem to use zinc rather than lead.

[quote user="Gengulphus"][quote user="Jonzjob"]Can anyone tell me what lead flashing for roofs is called in French please?

[/quote]

Bande de recouvrement solin

I recently had to have some done, and didn't know either.  (And 'Word Reference Forum' only offered exhibitionisme, for flashing.) 

As I am sure you will be aware, they quite often seem to use zinc rather than lead.

[/quote]

Indeed, and they do that for a reason.

When lead "creeps" down in the course of time and in the heat, it doesn't "shrink" back up very well.

After a while, it is necessary to trim it (like you would hair, I suppose!) and so it will gradually get thinner.

How on earth would you get it through the door of the salon de coiffure [Www][blink]

No seriously, I didn't know they used anything but lead, but from the zinq down pipes I have had to modify when I put some rainwater tubs in it is very easy to work, like lead.

Edit  :  -  Nearly forgot. I assume that with zinq it is still necessary to fit it in about 3 foot lengths to allow for the expansion?

asking for une bande de solin is likely to get you a zinc profile, une bande de solin en plomb or une bavette de solin en plomb will get you a composite zinc/lead flashing, if its lead that you want then my advice is to ask for une bande de plomb.

Sorry, I should have said earlier. It's a single story roof meeting a wall going up to a 1st floor bedroom. It looks as if there has never been any flashing there and attempts have been made to seal it with mastic I think. The join is about 3 or 4 metres long.

If the sheets are laid with the corrugations parallel to the wall and with the raised edge tight against the wall then a simple bande de solin en zinc will suffice, if the other way or a larger gap then une bande de solin avec bavette en plomb.

Both are nailed to the wall and then some mortar splodged on top which is a real bodge but what everyone does, at least its better than the traditional splodge of mortar without the zinc!

[quote user="Chancer"]

If the sheets are laid with the corrugations parallel to the wall and with the raised edge tight against the wall then a simple bande de solin en zinc will suffice, if the other way or a larger gap then une bande de solin avec bavette en plomb.

Both are nailed to the wall and then some mortar splodged on top which is a real bodge but what everyone does, at least its better than the traditional splodge of mortar without the zinc!

[/quote]

Cringing at the thought

A possible reason for not cutting a slot in the brickwork to receive a solin may be that, with the hollow terre cuite bricks commonly used here, the wall is weakened and water may get into the interior of the wall by way of the slot..

Edit: The picture posted by Théière shows the slots cut into the motar joints rather than into the bricks themselves.

The solin used by our builder over the last 12 years, for the joint between sloping roofs and adjacent vertical walls, consists of an expanded metal mesh strip, which is first screwed to the wall and then covered with cement render, joined to a wide lead strip to cover the actual joint.

There has been no sign of leaking or deterioration of these joints over the years.