How much are ordinary houses in your area? The type that real French people would buy?

I've been looking for French properties on the internet and it seems to me that those advertised there are only those aimed at non-French buyers who are either prepared to buy a shell and do it up, or who are well off and want a villa with a pool.  If you look at British properties on the internet, you find properties of all types. 

Before I ask my next question, I think I need to make it clear that I do know France very well and that I do have friends in many regions of France, but unfortunately, not in areas where I would be thinking of buying a property.  Although there are many areas of France where I would like to own a property, my first choice of area would be somewhere between Montelimar and Salon-de-Provence, i.e. so that what I regard as the most interesting places in France would be within a couple of hours drive.    I don't mean that I want a place bordering the Rhone, I'd prefer somewhere up-hill from there.  I like the Vaison la Romaine/Malaucene area and other hilly areas round there, but I'm sure they would be too expensive.  I just think that there must be places just outside the expensive areas which might be suitable.  Although I'm not normally a town dweller, my ideal would be to live in a large village or small town with at least one boulangerie artisinale and at least a small shop of the typical French general store type which would sell fresh meat, cheese, charcuterie and other general items. Presence of a butcher would be even better.  I'd like to be able to go into a shop and discuss food with the shop keepers and get to know local food better.   A town with a supermarket and possibly a market within 10-20 km would also be good.   I'd go for a house or flat, as long as we could park nearby.  I would be looking for either 2 bedrooms plus dining kitchen plus a reception room which could double up as a bedroom with a bed-settee, or 2 bedrooms with a kitchen and a living room big enough for bed-settee and dining, or 3 bedrooms and a kitchen/living room.  I don't like modern, open plan living.  I feel that people should be able to put a wall between themselves and others without having to go to a bedroom.  1 shower room and toilet would be quite sufficient.  We would only want something simple.  A small terrace or balcony would be quite sufficient - just somewhere for eating outside. A garage or space for storing our trailer tent would be a bonus, as then we could use it as a base for going further afield for summer holidays.  This place would be somewhere to go during school holidays and to use as a stepping stone in the summer holidays.  We would be prepared for something that needed completly re-decorating and would probably be prepared to fit a new kitchen or bathroom, but we wouldn't be looking for something requiring extensive works and certainly nothing structural nor damp proof nor rewiring.  A terraced house would be fine.  I want to be in a place where I can easily integrate with the French locals.  Probably a place suitable for first time buyers would be OK, although young couples these days seem to have far higher standards than we had when we bought a 2-up/2-down at the age of 20.  I'm not sure about heating - I really can't bear the smell of wood burning fires - not to mention the work involved.  I prefer a more controllable form of heating, although it's probably more expensive.

I am prepared to consider a totally different area, just as long as it is somewhere not too far off the main route from Calais towards Provence and Italy.  Picardy could work - as long as there were hills, trees and bushes.  I do find many areas along the side of the motorways too flat and un-attractive.  At least in England we tend to have hedges and trees in most countryside areas.

So, my question is, please could you tell me how much houses similar to the description I have given above would be in your area?  But please also bear in mind that it needs to be an area where there are a good amount of castles, medieval towns, archeological sites.  I know there are places where there are cheap properties, but some of those places, such as Limousin, for example, we couldn't find anything to even fill 7 days during a holiday the other year.  It's fine if you are heavily into walking, but a walk is something we would do only occasionally.  We are essentially history and archeological people.  If I can get together a list of prices for ORDINARY houses in different areas, it will give me some idea of where to start on an actual tour of Estate Agents.  I just can't find ordinary Estate Agents on the internet - or if I can, they don't give information about ordinary properties.  I'm not sure whether we would want to rent it out, but of course, it would need to be within easy reach of places of interest if we were to rent it out.

Thanks in hope that you can give me some idea of prices.

[quote user="Jill"]...We are essentially history and archeological people....[/quote]

Jill, sorry if I missed it,  but given what you have said about Limousin, wouldn't you go through everything in any area within a few days/weeks? 

Why do you want to buy somewhere in France? 

You sound like the kind of people who are best suited to moving around, as far as holidays go, if it's your current 'interests' that are driving you.

No criticism intended. Yours was a lengthy post and I may have missed something.

Which Web sites are you basing your opinions on? I tend to avoid the English-language sites and go straight to ones like Logic Immo http://www.logic-immo.com/ for national coverage or regional ones found by googling 'immo' plus the departement name. For example, googling 'immo drome' brought up this site http://www.immobilierdrome.fr/ with links to loads of immos. Taking the first one in Montelimar produced lots of 'real' houses, such as

ANCONE - Maison - 3 chambres - 150 m²
Situé(e) à ANCONE (26200)
Tarif : 140000 €
Référence : A2B678
Description : 5 MN OUEST MONTELIMAR MAISON DE VILLAGE DE 160 M² ENV HAB SUR 3 NIVEAUX 3 CHBRES, 2 SDE, 1 GRANDE CUISINE, 1 SALON, 1 ATELLIER, 2 WC CHAUFFAGE FUEL DOUBLE VITRAGE PARKING A 2 PAS, POSSIBILITE DE FAIRE UN GARAGE AU RDC

I must say, I found your post overly long and overly demanding. It reads more like a briefing to a property search consultant than a simple request for information.

This really is a wide approach and one from my experience will only lengthen your search. You don't say what your budget is butThe common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If your budget is modest then so will the property be, (ours was) Nothing beats being on the ground and finding an area you like, finding the agents in that area, keep a watchful eye on A/V signs as you drive around. We spent years taking holidays all along the med, renting villas, looking in agents windows (and for the brave, calling at the local notaires since they sometimes have property for sale, deceased or divorced for example). We changed tack on friends recommendation and bought privately near them in the wonderful micro climate of Charente surrounded by historical and archeological interests, local markets where you find the delicacies, inbetween several small towns, three airports, and within an hour and a bit of the coast and Bordeaux with all the culture you could devour. My advice would be; spend time on the terrain; do the leg work, above all be prepared to compromise and commit, then you could enjoy it sooner without an endless search.

[8-|] my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience…

So, my question is, please could you tell me how much houses similar to the description I have given above would be in your area?

Between 50, 000€ and 900,000€  But there might not be a butcher or a charcuterie near by so that could affect the prices by lets say 0.0002% [Www]

We have a small Cottage in the Correze bought in 2001 and have visited since that date on all School Holidays. We bought

at a very reasonable price and love the area as it is a safe environment where doors and property can be left open and ungaurded

without any form of bars on the windows.

We have visited plenty of Historical sites in this region and will do for many a year as there are loads and loads to visit and

a week does not do justice to this green and pleasant bit of France.

I think you may upset some people who live in this region by saying in 7 days there was not enough to see and enjoy.  Mind you I like

being in the cheap seats as the dearer ones attract vagabonds, burglars and thieves. Oh and our Butchers has just shut. so we are out of the running. rofl 

Properties that the real French buy? Answer the standard modern beige boxes, or flats. The price depends pretty much on the employment prospects in the area.

My wife has 10 sisters and a brother, so it's a pretty good sample. But, I doubt it's what you want to hear.

You really need to sort out a budget, then see what you can get for your money, and also on what you will have to compromise.

Ideally rent long-term in the area before buying, so you are totally sure. Stick to the French websites and Notaires if your french is up to it.

Perhaps a bit further west than you are looking, but this one ticks just about all the other boxes:

http://www.successimmobilier.com/SearchInfo.aspx?id=4510 (just over 100,000€, no pics unfortunately)

Or if you want character and history http://www.successimmobilier.com/SearchInfo.aspx?id=4483 (128,000€).

In smaller villages you get more for your money but have to be prepared to drive or cycle 3-4km for the charcuterie etc.

Try http://www.successimmobilier.com/SearchInfo.aspx?id=3800 (70,000€) or, better,

http://www.successimmobilier.com/SearchInfo.aspx?id=4511 (91,000€)

[quote user="Will"]

Perhaps a bit further west than you are looking, but this one ticks just about all the other boxes:

http://www.successimmobilier.com/SearchInfo.aspx?id=4510 (just over 100,000€, no pics unfortunately)

Or if you want character and history http://www.successimmobilier.com/SearchInfo.aspx?id=4483 (128,000€).

In smaller villages you get more for your money but have to be prepared to drive or cycle 3-4km for the charcuterie etc.

Try http://www.successimmobilier.com/SearchInfo.aspx?id=3800 (70,000€) or, better,

http://www.successimmobilier.com/SearchInfo.aspx?id=4511 (91,000€)

[/quote]

You'd recommend SuccessImmo, would you Will ?? [6]

Jill wrote:

But please also bear in mind that it needs to be an area where there are a good amount of castles, medieval towns, archeological sites.  I know there are places where there are cheap properties, but some of those places, such as Limousin, for example, we couldn't find anything to even fill 7 days during a holiday the other year.  It's fine if you are heavily into walking, but a walk is something we would do only occasionally.  We are essentially history and archeological people. 

Er.....am I missing something here? We are in the southern part of the Limousin, and within 1-2 hour drive we could visit more pre-history sites than you could shake a stick at. Ever heard of Lascaux caves, then there's the troglydite (?spelling) villages, castles, fortified towns,many centres of significance involving the Resistance in WWII ? I could go on.....

By the way we have just sold our house to 'real' French people, a young couple with a 2 year old who have been looking for months for an old stone property, they bought within 2 weeks of us putting it on the market. He's a teacher and she works for a Government department.

Jill wrote:

"I've been looking for French properties on the internet and it seems to me that those advertised there are only those aimed at non-French buyers who are either prepared to buy a shell and do it up, or who are well off and want a villa with a pool.

.......................................................... I just can't find ordinary Estate Agents on the internet - or if I can, they don't give information about ordinary properties.  "

Have a look at this website www.seloger.com (maybe someone else has already suggested this one[:)]) you can type in a Fr. post code plus house specifications and then you'll get an idea of what is available in that particular area.

why dont you go for a new build 3 bed bungallow in the centre of france with a drive way then you will have more choice and be nearer to most things, i dont know if they still have indipendant butchers in france but if you go to super u they have everything you need plus ive seen pigs ears in the meat section but i dont know what they would taste like

[quote user="Tressy"][quote user="Jill"]...We are essentially history and archeological people....[/quote]

Jill, sorry if I missed it,  but given what you have said about Limousin, wouldn't you go through everything in any area within a few days/weeks? 

Why do you want to buy somewhere in France? 

You sound like the kind of people who are best suited to moving around, as far as holidays go, if it's your current 'interests' that are driving you.

No criticism intended. Yours was a lengthy post and I may have missed something.

[/quote]

First - sorry if this quote thing goes wrong, it's the first time I've used this forum for about 2 years and the format has changed.

Second - I'm going to have to do more than one post to answer individual's questions.  Sorry.

Limousin - We always pick a base and travel out from there, but when we went to Limousin, we found that a lot of the castles I had information about were not open or not visitable.  We ended up going back into the Dordogne where we had just spent a week, because there is just SO much to see in the Dordogne.  I love that area, but it's not practical for us if we want to have a place as a stepping stone to places further afield.

The reason I want to buy somewhere in France is because I have almost always wanted to live there, but for work reasons it hasn't been possible.  I'm self employed, working a 9 day week if you add the hours up (more sometimes). At home, I can't escape work.  I need somewhere to go during school holidays, so that I can just cut myself off from the work and pursue activities I don't have time for at home.  Yes, we do love to travel and go sightseeing, but would do that for part of the 6 weeks summer holidays.  Eventually, on retirement, we would like to live 3 months in each country.  My husband loves France almost as much as I do.  We have visited many regions of France and have French friends in quite a few regions, but unfortunately, not in the areas where we would be interested in living.  I hope that answers your question.

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

Jill wrote:

But please also bear in mind that it needs to be an area where there are a good amount of castles, medieval towns, archeological sites.  I know there are places where there are cheap properties, but some of those places, such as Limousin, for example, we couldn't find anything to even fill 7 days during a holiday the other year.  It's fine if you are heavily into walking, but a walk is something we would do only occasionally.  We are essentially history and archeological people. 

Er.....am I missing something here? We are in the southern part of the Limousin, and within 1-2 hour drive we could visit more pre-history sites than you could shake a stick at. Ever heard of Lascaux caves, then there's the troglydite (?spelling) villages, castles, fortified towns,many centres of significance involving the Resistance in WWII ? I could go on.....

By the way we have just sold our house to 'real' French people, a young couple with a 2 year old who have been looking for months for an old stone property, they bought within 2 weeks of us putting it on the market. He's a teacher and she works for a Government department.

[/quote]

Yes, we have visited the Dordogne a couple of times.  I love that area - beautiful scenery, so much to see - we've been to Lascaux and we've been to Le Roc St Christophe twice, as well as to lots of other castles and other sites, such as other sorts of caves.  We've canoed on the Dordogne and the Vezere.  It's certainly an area we intend to return to as I'm sure there is still a lot we haven't seen.  In fact, I'm thinking of going more over to the Perigeux/Bergerac area this year, on our way to Carcassonne (for Cathare stuff mainly) and south of Millau on the way back up (for Templier stuff).  I'd happily buy somewhere in the Dordogne if it was more to the east for better access to other parts of Europe and also if there were not so many English people living there.  I'd prefer to be somewhere where we can really integrate with the French - which is why I'd prefer a small town or large village. 

I'm not sure whether it is me you recognise,  as I don't remember there being a Cendrillon when I used to use the forum.  It could be that it is longer than 2 years.  I wasn't looking for a house back then - I don't think I discussed buying a house - although I suppose I could have done. There are very few people on the forum who I recognise from previously - Only about 4 names I recognise.  I've always wanted to live in France, but financially, it hasn't been possible.  However, I am hopeful that we might be able to get something in the next couple of years as I've inherited half of my mother's house, which is on the market.  But if the market doesn't improve, it may still never happen.  I was all for going to France when I was 16 as an au pair, because I wasn't happy with the college courses on offer to me, but then my Mum panicked and found something out of the county where I could continue to study French.  Due to marriage and work commitments, we've not been able to actually move to France, but we have always hoped to be able to spend a lot of time there.  At the moment, we just have to be content with 10 days at Easter and 3 weeks in the summer and last year we did our three weeks in Italy instead, and I've fallen in love with Italy too, which is why we want to be en route for going there.  Next week we are going to Niort and Saumur, which are totally out of the regions where we would be looking for a place, but it was a question of finding an area where there would be places open this early in the year.  Hopefully, I can arrange for part of our summer holiday to be in a house hunting area!

[quote user="breizh"]

Properties that the real French buy? Answer the standard modern beige boxes, or flats. The price depends pretty much on the employment prospects in the area.

My wife has 10 sisters and a brother, so it's a pretty good sample. But, I doubt it's what you want to hear.

You really need to sort out a budget, then see what you can get for your money, and also on what you will have to compromise.

Ideally rent long-term in the area before buying, so you are totally sure. Stick to the French websites and Notaires if your french is up to it.

[/quote]

Yes, I see what you mean about the standard modern beige boxes.  Our French friends mostly bought their houses round about 1980 when even estates were being built to more individual designs.  They could choose their plot, then choose a design of house to go on it.  The house was built as a shell - just the ground floor and no stair case, just a stair well.  They lived in the house as a 2 bedroomed bungalow for a few years, then put up partition walls upstairs and added a staircase later.  So the houses were more individual.  I do have another friend though, who lives in Lorraine in a basically two-up, two-down terraced house and they have converted the loft.  That is pretty much like the first house we bought in England and would be just the right sort of thing for a maison secondaire, except I haven't seen houses like that on the internet.  But anyway, I'll start looking when I have enough time for a long session on the internet.

Sorry to have done so many postings, but it seems the easiest way to reply to comments which I felt needed a reply, and I missed this one yesterday.

Jill wrote:

..I'd happily buy somewhere in the Dordogne if it was more to the east for better access to other parts of Europe and also if there were not so many English people living there.

I'd prefer to be somewhere where we can really integrate with the French - which is why I'd prefer a small town or large village. 

Now we have the new A89 autoroute from Bordeaux to Lyon and then all points east it is making access a lot easier. With it crossing the A.20 (Orlean to Toulouse) just north of Brive the southern Correze is a great place to live - without too many English, and friendly and welcoming Correziens!

Corrèze is lovely, magnificent even, - but Tulle is depressing, so don't go there. I'm going to get shot down in flames for that remark, but it's just an expression of a point of view! My daughter #2 has had a lot of set-backs recently, so as a diversion I suggested we spent the day at a reasonably nearby town. Tulle was within reach, so we spent a couple of hours walking/driving round, then she said "Brive isn't far, is it?" and I replied "no, let's get in the car and GO!"

Brive is a great place! It's alive, it rocks, one has the impression that the inhabitants are alive!

Anyway, in answer to the original question :

http://www.linternaute.com

scroll down, pick an area, and average buying/renting prices per M2 is there.