Boiler service

Pommier

If caught (out), the penalty can be death................................................................

.............................by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Do it because it makes sense, not because a government tells you that you must.

I know that in the UK, if the property is rented out, it's an obligation to have an annual check, not sure about full service though. And I don't know about penalties.

In France, not sure of the legal obligation. I suppose if there was any resulting problem from a gas leak or carbon monoxide the insurance would refuse to cover.

We had ours serviced this week, cost about 150€, inc. a couple of small parts, plus mileage. only serviced once since new 8 years ago, but we've taken out an annual contract now.

So one reply on what happens in the UK and supposition as to what may be required and what might be the conséquences in France, another with the law according to a heating engineer reckons (bound to be unbiased) but in fact is about chimney sweeping.

May I suggest that you check the wording in your insurance Policy, that way you will be sure.

[quote user="Patf"]I know that in the UK, if the property is rented out, it's an obligation to have an annual check, not sure about full service though. And I don't know about penalties.

[/quote]

For UK rented property, there is an obligation to have an annual safety check on all gas appliances, but NOT an obligation to "service" them, though the appliances should be in good working order, so if the safety check reveals any issues, you must then go on to fix them. What one gas fitter said to me was "Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - taking things apart unnecessarily is quite likely to cause problems rather than prevent them. Having said that, maintenance tasks such as use of rust inhibitor in susceptible systems and consequent system flushes should be considered WHERE NECESSARY.

There is no "law" about getting it done - as Chancer rightly says, your insurance policy is the only thing you need to check.

Its a joke anyway - its not as if it needs an oil change and a new timing belt. An average boiler "service" consists of taking the cover off, blowing/vacuuming the dust off the exchanger fins, checking the system pressure by looking at the built in gauge, MAYBE squirting some leak detector on the gas fittings and MAYBE doing a flue gas analysis. Switch it off, switch it on again, check the pilot lights.

Right-o thats £100 please.

Its not even two minutes of work but they manage to spin it into an hours job to justify their prices.

Obviously anything wrong with it is billed as extra.

If its oil fired they might change the fuel line filter. They will probably charge extra for that though as that adds maybe 5 minutes onto the job.

Simple really. You pays yer money and you takes yer chance. Especially if your insurance states once a year, something happens and you ain't had it done. Cost of a new house is possibly more than a yearly check even at 100€.

We have just had ours done about 3 weeks back. We do this every year and have a relaxing time knowing that all is covered if the worst does happen. Same with the chimney. 60€/year, 1,15384€/week  =  no brainer

Our boiler service isn't a great deal more and we spend more a week on wine than the 2 put together..