Earth supplied by EDF?

crakpot

HI

I have just purchased a house circa 1978 in the Aude a small village In the past I have lived in the wilderness and have made my own Earth

Here three black wires enter the house and it appears one is used as Earth Any one with a similiar supply

[quote user="crakpot"]HI I have just purchased a house circa 1978 in the Aude a small village In the past I have lived in the wilderness and have made my own Earth Here three black wires enter the house and it appears one is used as Earth Any one with a similiar supply[/quote]

I live in the Aude as well, I have exactly the same and my house was finished in 1976. It is for three phase and probably you will find that when you get to the EDF meter only two are used for live and neutral. To verify this you can check your bill and your meter, just to be safe. Don't know why they run these cables although the ERDF technician when he came to change the meter and I asked said it was to make it easier to upgrade the supply should you want to especially as most people used electricity for heating around that time.

They leave it floating.

As the maximum now for monophasé is only 12kva it makes sense.

I have three 50mm2 conductors  entering my building but I do have a potential 400 amp supply, strangely enough in the outside box, the coffret de coupure and protection (CCPC) which I supplied and installed, when they came to connect it they put in a tiny seperate earth piquet into the ground beneath it, AKAIK it was not connected as the exposed metallic parts Inside are all at the tension of one of the phases, the cable to the téléport pastille has an earth screen but that is connected back to my main earth piquet, I have no idea why they fitted this external piquet which being only 6" long is not going to protect a 3 amp supply let alone 130 per phase, perhaps its for some sort of testing? 

Thank you for your replies

I will have to start digging any suggestions to the minimum copper wire length the hungriest appliance will be an electric oven, the heating /cooking is gas

Ground sandy a river 50 metres away 15 metre elevation