Talking kitchens

mint

[quote user="idun"]

Gluestick, do you put hot soup into your blender? May sound like a daft question, but I would really like to know.

[/quote]

Never! Always allow cooked food to cool, naturally, before blending/liquidising.

Since the glass walls are rather thick and to do so would without doubt cause stress fractures as the external temp of the glass would expand much more slowly than the internal wall; glass is of course not a very good thermal conductor.

The type of glass such items are made from is usually tempered for safety: and over time, can suffer sudden stress fractures. The blender was circa 6+ years old.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, I have been using blenders for nigh on 40 years and have never let anything cool. I let food come off the boil, but never cool. Just cannot imagine doing it either, get my soup ready and then letting it cool and then blend to reheat for say lunch.

I asked as most modern blenders, say to cool the food, but that really goes against the grain, and as I need a new one, I was wondering. And the new 'soup' makers  blend  hot food, it is just that I don't want one of them as I always make a huge marmite full of soup, and it also goes against the grain to just buy one to 'just' use as a blender.

I've had quite a few blenders over the years, my first, a moulinex, lasted at least 15 years, blending hot soups and sauces, wore the poor thing out.

[quote user="idun"]Drawers

I have a question about not having cupboards and just drawers in kitchens.

How on earth do they stand up to having plates and bowls and side plates..... well, all the crockery. It is a very very long time since I only had say 4 of each in my cupboards (I was but a young thing then, and I am not now). I had a few more place settings before I moved to France, but after living there, I just found that I needed lots, so I now have at least 12 of everything all the time, and I use them. (And I do have lots of spares in the dresser next to my dining table too, just don't use them all the time)

I just cannot see any drawer being up to having that weight in, and in regular use, so please, do they? I would be very upset if a drawer collapsed, say on my feet, or just collapsed and broke my crockery.

[/quote]

I don't remember the weight limit for the drawers but it's fairly chunky - they are designed to hold all your kitchen food and equipment.  The great thing about drawers is that you pull everything out and you dont have to scramble around trying to find the thing you want at the very back of the shelf. 

Here's one of my drawers... this is an 8 peice set

[URL=http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/csims63/media/aacbd5fa-e053-4f57-a46a-c06a82aa0ec7_zpsitesgzty.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag61/csims63/aacbd5fa-e053-4f57-a46a-c06a82aa0ec7_zpsitesgzty.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Years ago I remember never having a draw in the kitchen as I felt they were a wasted of time and then I saw my friends kitchen that was only drawers and it was a revelation to me... now I wouldn't have anything else... but I guess it's a very personal choice. [:D]

[quote user="idun"]Interesting, I have been using blenders for nigh on 40 years and have never let anything cool. I let food come off the boil, but never cool. Just cannot imagine doing it either, get my soup ready and then letting it cool and then blend to reheat for say lunch.

I asked as most modern blenders, say to cool the food, but that really goes against the grain, and as I need a new one, I was wondering. And the new 'soup' makers  blend  hot food, it is just that I don't want one of them as I always make a huge marmite full of soup, and it also goes against the grain to just buy one to 'just' use as a blender.

I've had quite a few blenders over the years, my first, a moulinex, lasted at least 15 years, blending hot soups and sauces, wore the poor thing out.

[/quote]

Most blenders I have looked at have Acrylic Jugs.

It's not yet midday and there is already nudge nudge wink wink talk?

My own life isn't quite so spicy!  Have to admit though that I have a good sized drawer for spices and will try to have a shallow one in the new kitchen.

All this advice has come at a critical time for me as I now have to decide whether it shall be all drawers and no cupboards at all or to have one or two cupboards.

I also don't yet know whether I need any wall cupboards or whether I should have some in case I run out of space!

I agree with RH on using a stick whizzy to do all soups and to make mayonnaise.  It works well for me as I don't go for velouté and I like to leave some lumps in all soups.

I just take some of the soup out, whizz well and then return it to the rest in the saucepan.  And, as id says, it would totally go against the grain to let the soup go cold and reheat.

I also don't much like cold soups like gazpacho and vichysoisse.

Mint, I mentioned in an earlier post that we have a couple of cupboards, including the lovely whizz out snaky thing for all the packets etc, but they are made of drawer fronts that the kitchen planner fixed together, so the kitchen looks as though it's all drawers, very neat and tidy.

The other useful thing I like a lot is that we got him to install wall cupboards like we have in France - they open upwards, so you don't have cupboard doors opening into your face. I had normal opening cupboards all my life, and I just love these opening upwards ones.

By the way, both of my kitchens are grey and white, so I like the sound of those recommended from IKEA.

[quote user="gardengirl "]we got him to install wall cupboards like we have in France - they open upwards, so you don't have cupboard doors opening into your face. I had normal opening cupboards all my life, and I just love these opening upwards ones.[/quote]

If you plan carefully the wide pan drawers can match the upward opening wide wall cupboards and it make the whole look very slick indeed and bang up to date.

[quote user="mint"]

All this advice has come at a critical time for me as I now have to decide whether it shall be all drawers and no cupboards at all or to have one or two cupboards.

[/quote]

I would say try to think of the drawers as cupboards that you can pull out. [:$]

It's not easy deciding on a new kitchen is it... you have to keep it for years and years but use it constently.  I was really nervous when planning ours - it was a room built from nothing so I had total control but I got a few things wrong that are a right pain; I put the dishwasher in totally the wrong place but I have to live with it.  We had an island and I made a mistake with open shelves - stainless steel that always looks dusty.  I thought of replacing them but instead I'm going to move them a little and put an MDF back onto them which I can paint... it will be more of a breakfast bar than an island now. [:$]

I choose one small cupboard to fill a gap and I use it to store bowls and pots that I rarely use... but when I do need them I have to get on mu knees and lift everything out to find the thing I want.

I didn't use wall cupboards as I dont have a lot of ceiling height and I worried it would make the room look shorter - if I had the extra height I would have gone with them - I love the glass fronted doors but I suspect they'd be a pain to keep clean and shiny.  I have got shelves and fill them with pretty things which I know a few folks would hate... and I have things hanging from the wall too.

It is all personal choice and I bet you'll end up with a kitchen that works great for you [kiss]

[quote user="mint"]

I also don't much like cold soups like gazpacho and vichysoisse.

[/quote]

I believe Gazpacho was originally created in Galacia and fed to hungry hot and tired workers as a reviver: despite being on the Atlantic Coast, it can become mighty hot in Summer! Nothing nicer on a stonking hot Summer's day, on the terrace for an al fresco lunch, with a nice cold bottle of rosé!

I do love Vichysoisse.

However, Mrs GS and I eat lots of Leak and Potato soup, made around an old Carrier recipe: leave a few crunchy bits, but mainly blitzed down to a smooth wondrous soup!

When we make a big pot of soup (in the large French stew pot), we don't obviously eat it all the same day: thus I really cannot understand the objection to  blitzing when cold and re-heating?

After all, it must ALL be reheated each and every day whether partaking or not?

In practice we find soup, rather as with curries, improves over time in any case, and perversely reaches its taste peak for the last two lugs full!

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="gardengirl "]we got him to install wall cupboards like we have in France - they open upwards, so you don't have cupboard doors opening into your face. I had normal opening cupboards all my life, and I just love these opening upwards ones.[/quote]

If you plan carefully the wide pan drawers can match the upward opening wide wall cupboards and it make the whole look very slick indeed and bang up to date.

[/quote]

That's how mine are arranged, looks very co-ordinated, especially following the previous units, which had been there for more than 35 years!

Teapot and GG, I get the picture of lining up the drawers and the wall units to look co-ordinated.

Only thing is, if I went for wall units, I was going to have those that go right up to the ceiling.  Also, being vertically challenged, I find wall cupboards difficult to reach.

Come to that, so are the tops of shower screens, tops of doors, etc but I do have one of those kick-steps that I kept when OH closed his office and I use that many times everyday.

It's not the most elegant thing imaginable and I hope not to need it in the new kitchen!  It's one of those old-fashioned round kick-steps in grey and you roll it to where you want it and, when you step up on it, it is nice and steady.  So, it does have its uses.

In view of what you have advised, I will take another look at the wall cupboards that are available.

I don't like stick blenders as I don't think that they blend well enough for me, (I often not only blend but then put my soups and sauces through  the finest of mesh chinois). And I make a mess with the stick blenders trying to get the veg etc that won't blend. Mine was expensive and german, and not bamix, I gave it away.

Most blenders with a decent wattage I have seen now have glass jugs. I have contacted Cuisinart and they say theirs can blend hot, but not boiling food stuffs, which is fine by me. Just need a few pennies saved for one, as it is expensive.

'Slick and bang up to date kitchen'......... I do thankyou for saying that, you have just described what someone I know always wants from a kitchen, I hadn't realised. And they do keep up to date with their ever changing kitchens, they want the esthetic and not a working kitchen. I had never thought about it properly before, just that I am always surprised that their new one is so similar in so many ways to the last and now I know.

So these drawers, what weight do they take. I have had a look in my cupboards and have about 12 of each; dinner, soup bowls, cereal bowls and side plates. Four big pasta bowls and loads of other bowls and dishes. I bet they all weigh a lot. I use the crockery regularly and the bowls often.

I do actually have a big drawer that I was told was for pans, but I never had the intention of putting other than towels, tee towels and spare oven gloves in it, and that is what I do. 

[quote user="idun"]I don't like stick blenders as I don't think that they blend well enough for me, (I often not only blend but then put my soups and sauces through  the finest of mesh chinois). And I make a mess with the stick blenders trying to get the veg etc that won't blend. Mine was expensive and german, and not bamix, I gave it away.

Most blenders with a decent wattage I have seen now have glass jugs. I have contacted Cuisinart and they say theirs can blend hot, but not boiling food stuffs, which is fine by me. Just need a few pennies saved for one, as it is expensive.

'Slick and bang up to date kitchen'......... I do thankyou for saying that, you have just described what someone I know always wants from a kitchen, I hadn't realised. And they do keep up to date with their ever changing kitchens, they want the esthetic and not a working kitchen. I had never thought about it properly before, just that I am always surprised that their new one is so similar in so many ways to the last and now I know.

So these drawers, what weight do they take. I have had a look in my cupboards and have about 12 of each; dinner, soup bowls, cereal bowls and side plates. Four big pasta bowls and loads of other bowls and dishes. I bet they all weigh a lot. I use the crockery regularly and the bowls often.

I do actually have a big drawer that I was told was for pans, but I never had the intention of putting other than towels, tee towels and spare oven gloves in it, and that is what I do. 

[/quote]

I love our stick blender for making things like mayo: however, my favourite use is to cheat when making traditional Bechamel.

Quick and no lumps............

Mrs GS, of course, uses one of our old Victorian style forks with flat tines and zero plating left!

However, for a proper blender, as with all appliances be they workshop of house, I adore grunt! i.e. power.

The Bifinit blender boasts 550 watts and enjoys a 1.75 Litre capacity, plus pulse and variable speed settings. Additionally, it is not difficult to dismantle the blade carrier, take it apart and properly clean.

What's not to like?

[quote user="mint"]Teapot and GG, I get the picture of lining up the drawers and the wall units to look co-ordinated.

Only thing is, if I went for wall units, I was going to have those that go right up to the ceiling.  Also, being vertically challenged, I find wall cupboards difficult to reach.

[/quote]

No problem, stack the wall units on top of each other to the desired height, I wish I took more pictures of project I have done to show others, I will do now.

The kitchen I am to start work on is a budget job but it looks like there are some budget 800 wide drawer units in Brico depot so I have the catalogue in front of me and calculator to hand.

I just KNEW that, sooner or later, I'd have to get technical[+o(]

I chose a double sink and sent the details to the installer who said that the sink (undermounted) would only be suitable for solid wood or granite.

Looking around, I see that the only other type is called "inset", so can someone please clarify for me that "inset" is what I need?

Installer is suggesting the Ikea sinks but their double is ceramic and I definitely want stainless steel.

[quote user="mint"]

Looking around, I see that the only other type is called "inset", so can someone please clarify for me that "inset" is what I need?

[/quote]

Yep, inset is needed unless solid worktop as suggested by your fitter (not chipboard)

Take a look at your PM [:)]

Thank you, Teapot.

Now, a small question for Rose and other owners of Ikea kitchens:  do their worktops overhang the units a bit so that anything spilt on the surfaces does not trickle down all over the front of cupboards and drawers?

Also, where do you put your glasses when you do not have wall cupboards?[8-)]

I know that Ikea is Swedish, so I have no idea and am interested in the replies. As, mint, you have raised  a bugbear of mine in the UK, the majority of worksurfaces that do not stick out sufficiently from the units below. I have been led to believe that 'I' am the only one who would even consider that a problem. But I liked mine sticking out and protecting the unit fronts from getting spillages on them. My current ones stick out about half an inch, and I prefer more, say, up to an inch.

My current kitchen is from howden's and I bought one of their deeper work surfaces. IF I had the money I'd have marble that gives very good cover.  And as I said, I had little legs put on one lot of units, as also, I find the UK units not a proper working height and do not suit my purposes at all.

Oh, Id, you are definitely NOT the "only one"!

As this is the first time I am starting with a relatively blank page, although with some restrictions (eg waste outlets, etc), I want to get it right!

I need a functional kitchen that works for me and I guess you are the same, id.  We are, after all, people who spend a heck of a lot of time in our kitchens, n'est ce pas?

I have, so far, found the oven that I want and also a transporter to bring it and I think I have also found the double stainless steel sink that I think would be just the job.

Which brings me to another technical question to put to the likes of Teapot and Chancer and all technical bods:  do the flexible hoses and fittings etc advertised as suitable for British pipes also fit French ones???

Proper worktops are 63cm + in depth and proper cabinets are 60cm depth with a service void at the back.

Seemingly Ikea cabinets dont have the void but if they are not as deep then thats not a problem, what is a problem is that most worktops in France especially the cheap or promo ones are only 60cm deep.

Otherwise they are excellent value for money, I am currently paying €15 for a 2m long 60cm granite of bêton ciré effect 28mm raduis edged worktop, I use them for shelves and cabinet work, far cheaper, sturdier and more pleasing to the eye than contiboard.

To return to the lino planks, I had a look yesterday in Leroy Merlin, now they make them that lay and interlock like laminate flooring, the joint design leaves a shadow gap at the top surface and they are pretty much indistinguishable from solid wood flooring but with the warmth and resilience of lino, a really superb product but at circa €30 per m2 too expensive for me. They are not self adhesive and are intended to be laid exactly like laminate flooring.