Fosse, size for property?

f1steveuk

A techical question. Is there a set formula to work out the size of Fosse required for a property.

I would assume it should be done on the maximum number of people the house could sleep. but someone (who tends to guess at laws and such!!)claims it should be worked out on the highest possible water flow.  Much though I argue that a formula bases on occupation would include, washing, washing machines etc, he is adamant it's calculated on water flow.

In which case, what would be the required size of Fosse for a ouse that can sleep eight?

As a rule of thumb, I understood that it should be 1000 litres per bedroom:  so, 3 bedrooms 3000 litres, 4 bedrooms, 4000 litres.

This was told me by the fosse inspecter of our previous property way back in 2006.  I just thought that that was the empirical rule.

I just had a look on some Brico websites and the answer would seem to resolve itself based on which size tanks you can actually buy.

The most common size is 3000 litres which is around €450, I assume this is OK for most households.

Next is 4000 litres which will jump to around €800

Then I could find only one example of 5000 litres which weighs in at a hefty €1200

So you pays yer money and takes yer choice

The details of the law are set out here

http://assainissement.comprendrechoisir.com/comprendre/fosse-septique-dimensions

In essence you count the number of the principle rooms, living, dining, office, bedrooms etc

Up to 5 rooms you need a fosse of 3000 litres, above 5 you add 1000 for each additional room.