Aluminium shutters

Wils

Hi

We are looking to replace old, rotten wooden shutters on a 400 year old mas. We are considering aluminium shutters. Has anyone any experience of them, recommendations etc. First salesman is quoting about 700 euros per pair all inclusive. Any information would be appreciated.

Bob

Last year I was faced with a similar problem although what with you having a Mas probably not so many shutters. I had five windows and three terrace doors to do. I have seen wooden shutter kits around but they seemed quite expensive even at Brico Depot but then I realised that you were not paying so much for the wood but all the metal work that goes with it i.e. hinges, locks etc. I did notice that they also sold just the wood but then had the problem of getting it all home, working out the most economical cuts for minimum wastage and how much I actually needed. Eventually I went to our local builder’s merchant and found that not only could I get the wood but they would cut it to size and deliver it for me. To show him what I wanted I took the Brico Depot printout with me and asked if he could beat the price. After a bit of humming and ahhing he said he would and when you consider he did all the cutting and only charged me for the wood I was having (so I didn't pay for the scrap bits I didn't need) it worked out a good deal. I gave him the measurements and of the shutters and he cut the wood for each one.

So basically I took down one set of shutters and carefully took them apart so I could work out how exactly they were constructed bearing in mind I have never done this in my life before. All you really need is a ring saw and a decent electric screwdriver and perhaps a sanding machine Oh and a couple of boxes of screws.

The metal hinges etc were in good nick so no problem there. I did think about spraying them with these cans of metal spray but considering their condition and that they have never been painted before didn't bother.

The trick with the wood and there is types, one that is tongued and grooved (which forms the actual shutter, another with bevelled edges (for the top and bottom beams) and another that has angled edges (goes across at an angle as a brace) is to paint it first before you do anything, this will protect the wood from future rot. It took me a day to build the first set but after that I ws up and running making a complete set and hang them in a morning. I only made one mistake which was with the cross brace, I made two sides the same. The brace needs to go from the outer top edge down the bottom inner edge forming a Z for one side and a reversed Z for the other. This brings the weight down from the outer edge of the shutter to the bottom hinge giving better support to shutter and stops it 'drooping'.

Now the best bit, was it worth it? Well based on price you have stated for one set I did all mine for less. It cost me about 30 Euros per window and 40 Euros per door so in total 270 Euros including screws but not the paint. For paint I swear by Bondex because that is what they all use down here mainly because we have a high UV climate and it carries a nine year warranty which works for me because who wants to spend their life painting shutters. Even if you have to buy a screwdriver set, electric screwdriver and electric ring saw you will save a fortune. Come to think of it if I had to I still would have come in cheaper for all of mine compared to just one set of your metal ones.

I actually found it quite simple to do after the first one and actually quite rewarding especially as I have never made a shutter before in my life and got a E- for carpentry at school although that was nearly a century ago. They actually look better than the original because I cut them to fit.

If you have rounded tops you will need to buy an electric jigsaw, have the wood cut to the maximum height, build the shutter then use the jigsaw to cut the shaped top but it is not difficult. You can usually use the old one for a template. Before I put the hinges and ironwork on I gave them all another two coats of paint but the paint can be drying while your making the next set or sets.

So in answer to your question I think thats quite (well very actually) expensive and would seriously consider it as a project and make them myself.

Hope that helps.

If you are i this end of the Herault,  Carcassonne isn't too far from you and you have a decent set of roof bars then this lot are about as good as you can get for wood.

I had to replace one of our shutters and I got the wood from there. As Q has said it isn't difficult to make them, even with basic tools. If you do go that route then don't do what I did and glue the uprights together. Not being glued allows them to move with the temp/humidity changes. The diagonal bar is the piece that holds them in place and it has to be under compression, once again as Q said.

Don't skimp and buy cheap, soft screws either. It's just not worth it.

700€ for a pair ???[:-))]

When I was taking the first shutter apart to see how it was constructed the thing I noticed was that where it had rotted the most was where the vertical slats mated with each other. The reason for this is because they were assembled before painting and the tongue and grove had no protection. This is why I decided to paint mine first. There is a temptation to buy cheap paint but don't. As I said down south the UV is much higher particularly above sea level and cheap paint, especially from the UK, will not withstand these levels for any length of time. The other thing is to take note of the instructions. Basically the way to paint them is to take them down and lay them down then really slap the paint on, the more the better. Laying them down allows you to do this because you won't get runs, except perhaps down the edges but you can wipe these off before the paint dries. When I first watched the people round here paint theirs I noticed they took them off and wondered why, seemed a lot of hard work to me when you could paint them in without the hassle of taking them down, now I know why. This locks in any moisture which is very important because the wood will dry out and rot if you don't which is why painting them every nine years (if you buy the good stuff) is so important.

Totally correct about the paint Q. Not long after we moved here I phoned Dulux U.K. and spoke to one of their tech blokes. I asked him what the difference is between U.K. and the French paint? He told me the different UV index that's built into the French stuff. U.K. paint?  No problems for internal painting, but not if you want to get past the couple of year mark outside.

I suppose it's OK for the N France, bu not this far south.

Firstly can I thank everyone who replied to my initial post. Special thanks to Quillan for his extensive reply. I have decided however not to go down the 'wood' road, I'm no spring chicken and the thought of having to get up a ladder sometime in the future to get them down to paint really doesn't appeal. The aluminium ones are guaranteed for 15 years and by then I probably won't know what a shutter is (or the kids can sort it if they want to inherent the house). Anyway, next job is erecting a panneau fence, wish me luck!

In our first two appts we had metal shutters. And I know that metal shutters will need less maintaining, but when it rains they are very noisy, well noisier than I like.

Also wooden shutters are good insulators, I realise that they let drafts round, but we did check from time to time about the overnight temperature in winter(we lived in the in the Alpes), between the gap between our double glazed window and wood shutter compared to the ambient temp outside. Cannot remember what the difference was, but enough to appreciate the extra insulation.

In my old village there were quite a few houses who got UPVC shutters, no idea how that worked out though or if they are as good as wood.