Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Posts posted by Charallais

  1. My grandchildren don't go to school Wednesday but do go Saturday morning here in the Cote d'Or. There is a club run on Wednesdays that the children can go to.

    My grandson is 3 and a half and he can opt for all day or half day schooling. The chidlren in Petit Section usually have a sleep after lunch then play but he isn't used to that and wouldn't sleep at night if he slept in the afternoon. The Maternelle now let him go in the afternoon and work with the Moyenne Section. His sister is in Grand Section and although they only joined the school at the begining of May she is going up to Primaire in September.

  2. No it is La Vie Saine, I use it regularly. I have found them in various areas I have been to. I am going to the Mayenne in July to see friends and I use one there.



  3. I am wheat and lactose intolerant. Buckwheat (sarrasin) is not wheat and I use it a lot.

    A chain which can be found all over France is La Vie Saine they sell all you would need including pizza bases and prepared food. They also have leaflets which give plenty of advice. I have found many supermarkets now sell gluten free items but you do have to search for them.

    La Vie Saine also sell cookery books which give you many recipes that will give you a diverse diet.



  4. Our grandchildren moved to the Cote d'Or in April and within a week had started at the Maternelle designated for our village, although we do have a choice of which school they attend.

    It is a state school and already our grandaughter will go to Primaire in September. Our grandson is 3 and a half and our grandaughter 6. We were told not to be persuaded to keep her at Maternelle any longer, she is bright and wants to learn.

    There is a Private school (sous contrat) in a nearby town and my daughter is wondering whether to send the children there at Primaire or after, the cost is low being sous contrat and a neighbour's daughter is very happy there.

    At the moment we are happy with their education the Maternelle, the teachers are fantastic, make the children welcome and explain very well what is required. The only problem we have had is that in Petit Section the children have a sleep at the start of the afternoon session then after an hour they play. James is not used to an afternoon sleep and if he does it is a nightmare to get him to bed at night! So, the teacher lets him join in work sessions instead.

    Abigail at 6 is in Grand Section and is delighted to be there, she has a party invitation already!

    I think it is better to keep an eye on the children and follow your instincts as you know your child. Go to the open days before commiting yourself and if possible to talk to parents who have children at the school. A friend has a son at the Maternelle, he is in the same section as our grandson, so we had an idea of what the school is like.




  5. Charallais, have you phoned Newcastle about child benefit? Their number is 0044191 2135000.

    If you read my earlier postings you will see I hve spoken to the INTERNATIONAL CHILD BENEFIT SECTION their number is 00 44 191 225 1000. There is no other way she can get Child Benefit from the UK due to the provisos I have laid out UNLESS we claim on her behalf because WE get IB.


    The reason I think she may still get it is because her husband (for the time being) is remaining in the UK. What about tax credit - can she claim that ? Even if only for the time she remains in the UK.

    I really am sympathetic to your and her plight, but how she can be treated as a dependant of either you or your husbands when it looks as if she is over 21 and married just defeats me ? Will you have to prove she is your daughter ?

    From what I have read here it looks as if the refusal to grant a E106 may get her in the French system which is naturally your main concern - the very best of luck with it, I hope it works out well.


    Her husband will remain in the UK, I have said that before, he wants HER to move to France he has NO INTENTION of coming here unless he does so to visit the children. They do not get any benefits and are the UK likely to give it to her if she is still in the same property as her husband? No, of course not. They may be living sperate lives but they are still a 'family' in the eyes of the benefit system until one or other of them leaves and as he refuses she has to.

    Both my husband and I pay tax in France and in UK due to double taxation agreement. IB is taxable as is our 'public sector' pensions (not state pension).

    I have spoken to the International Child Benefits Section, the Pension Service and Medical Benefits because they need to provide the necessary paperwork for her to leave Uk and have meetings with the CAF, Centre Social and CPAM here in France. ALL the advice I have received has come from these sources. But staying in UK is not the answer, some of you who are posting should try putting yourselves in other peoples' situations and think how you would cope when faced with such obstacles. The council will not rehouse her and if she moved to another area she would have made herself purpursly homeless, no one else can home her amongst family and friends, so as I can see you would rather a 26 year old was on the streets with a 5 and 3 year old I feel ashamed of you.

    As for her coming on the back of our E121 not a E106 this is the advice of the Medical Benefits any problems with that please phone 00 44 191  218 1999.


  6. We came on a E121 because we continue to receive Incapacity Benefit from England. We are under the double taxation agreement because IB is taxable, so instead of it being paid in UK the tax is payable in France instead. The double taxation agreement between UK and France means we are not paying tax twice.  We both receive pensions mine a Civil service Pension and my husband a Local Government Pension for which both the tax remains payable in the UK, this the law for 'public service' pensions. So we are incorporated into both tax systems and cannot escape either, but then we wouldn't want to.



  7. I can assure everyoe we are taking expert advice on what we are doing to get our daughter and grandchildren here and have found that, as often happens, it depends on who you talk to.

    People have said that as she gets child benefit already for the children paid into her bank account she would still get it paid. But (there always is!) to do that she would have to be in receipt of job seeker's allowance, guardians allowance, state pension, widow's/bereavement benefit, industrial injury disablement benefit or Incapacity Benefit. As my husband and I receive IB we could claim on her behalf.

    The French CPAM are asking for National Insurance numbers, my daughter has got one but of course the children don't have one but the French authorities could contact the International Child Benefit section for the reference number allocated when the children first get Child Benefit are which becomes their NI number when they get to 15.

    For those who feel she can stay in the Uk I can assure there is no chance of that. I have mentioned that she is entitled to the property as the council provided it for the children and the person who has custody, my daughter. Her husband refuses to move out. To go through the legal system will take ages and already she is having to stay in the flat because she has no where else to go and we all know how long these processes take; so she just wants to leave as soon as possible, just as he wants her to be gone as soon as possible.

    Some people don't think these ideas through saying she can do this lor that but forget the nitty gritty like where would she stay while the council go through their proceedures.

    We have a home here for her and the children she obviously wants her family around her: it is just her family is in France. 



  8. Tresco I have already said that they have signed an agreement which allows her to take the children from the UK to France (I have mentioned this twice.)

    I have also explained, twice, that the council have said the flat was provided for the children and the person who has custody. When they moved there they were married and both had custody, now it is for her and the children. He REFUSES to move out. The council will not rehouse her anywhere else because she has the flat but due to the fact he is adament he will not go 'THEY can't make me move' he said so she has no where else to go unless she sleeps rough with a 5 year old and a 3 year old. Her husband is named as the tenant but according to the council they are joint tenants. She is so mentally abused , the latest is that she has the easy option of moving to France and he will have it hard being left alone in the flat!

    I am convinced that people are not reading this thread properly. Mostly it is about how she should stay (where?), shouldn't come and put extra pressure on the French system, take action that I have already explained she has done and apart from Traci who has been in my daughter's position not give any practical advice into how she can enter the system because the British system doesn't have the paperwork for people in her position who stopped work to raise a family who are now 5 and 3 and only started working part time last year. Before moving to the flat they were self employed but due to her husband's appaling business attributes they lost the business and home. Getting the flat was a stressful and difficult procedure living in a bedsit with a toddler and new baby a one point. The building had drug addicts, stabbings and a man who hanged himself in an adjacent flatlet. My daughter was also punched in the face by one of the addicts.

    Eventually they were allocated the flat but her husband continues to be useless with money and she has found that on occasions rent hasn't been paid, found letters from credit card companies hidden under son's bed and other financial problems he kept quiet. She has taken over the finances on more than one occasion but he still runs up debts. He has made it clear he doesn't want her and now he doesn't want the children around.

    I find him despicable that he is denying his own children of a home provided for them. If he was any sort of man he would bow out graciously and allow them to stay where they have schools, friends and family but he wants them as far away as possible. Unfortunately there is no one else who can given them a home, near to their comfort zone so she has no option to come here. She cannot afford a solicitor but is using the CAB for advice.

    Were you also aware that in their wisdom the child benefit in England would normally be paid to the person who pays NI? that means if he had offered to pay a reasonable rate of maintenance he would receive the child benefit to pass on to my daughter! She was horrified about that and so was I. Surely it should be paid straight to the person who has custody, I have learnt a lot this week.

    If anyone has any sensible answers rather than passing judgement then I would apprecciate hearing from them.



  9. Yes Benjamin, I know, we are covered for all doctors visits for whatever it is, prescriptions, physio, blood tests, x-rays. I spent 2 weeks in hospital and 4 weeks in a centre de reeducation and paid only 58€ for telephone and television. We got 100% because we are on full Incapacity Benefit, according to CPAM, without hesitation.

    The top up is for hospitalisation, glasses and dental. Whenever I go to the doctor, not just for 'my disability/incapacity' I am fully covered, well that is how I have been treated.


  10. I suppose the 'right' answer is that she should get her husband out of the flat with a court order - a relative of mine did this to get rid of the father of her child, so my best guess is that it is possible. However it seems plain that your daughter wants to be near you so she has some support which IMHO is only natural.


    Of course that is the right answer; the council say she should stay with the children because she will have custody; but her husband refuses to move out. He cannot handle money and as for the maintenance he says he will pay well we will believe it when we see it! He has signed the children over to my daughter, doesn't care if they are taken away from him, their other grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins (none of whom can house them by the way), has an ex wife and children he hasn't seen since his divorce and doesn't pay maintenance for so we have no exectations.

    Our daughter started working a couple of evenings or weekends last summer because of the debts her husband had built up, but because she has cared for the children and not worked since her daughter was born in 2001until last year I was told categorically she is not entitled to an E106.  

    Luckily we have friends here who are rallying around to get her sorted out with the authorities. She is mentally and physically exhausted. Her husband, when he is there, just says go to France, go to your parents, the council can't get me out.

    When I asked about family allowance from England they told me that in normal circumstances her husband would receive the child benefit to pass onto her! But as the amount he has offered to pay is so low that wouldn't happen, but if they did I don't think she would get the money. Is that right? No, of course not. So the other option is for us to apply for it with her authorisation, but then she has no independence. the best way is to ask for child/family benefit here in France. She doesn't want benefits she wants to be independent but she has to start somewhere. Our priorities are for our daughter and grandchildren, she is now worried how he might react as he is getting at her mentally, luckily not physically. He is telling people she is taking the children and going to France; but not that he has told her to go because he will not vacate the home provided for the children.

    If she or we are wrong in anyway then please tell us how we can sort things out. We have the room here, we have the love, can provide the safety they require emotionally and physically; ie they will be fed, have a roof over their heads and be happy.


  11. Thank you Traci for your support and a sensible answer.

    We went to the Centre Social today to enquire on our daughter's behalf about benefits as her child allowance will stop when she leaves England. We have an appointment next week. The options to get Child benefit from England was her husband gets the allowance and pays her (!) or we claim it on her bahalf, this gives her no independence. We then went to CPAM and the lady was great and understands our daughter wants to be independent and when her language skills are more up and running and she feels more confident she can get a job and perhaps a home for her and the children

    Unfortunately she has no option but to come here, she has no where to go in England. The flat is for the children and the person with custody (her) but her husband refuses to leave. She has run out of fight and only wants to keep her children safe. He has signed them over to her, which means she can bring them here, he justs keeps telling her to go and the only place is here.

    I don't understand Beryl's answer because my husband and I are here already, received full Incapacity Benefit, are covered by the French Health System, have top up insurance and do not work, we came on an E121 four years ago. As my daughter has only worked a few hours a week since last summer she doesn't qualify for an E106, that is for workers, so what I need to know is, if you cannot get an E106 how do you get into the French health system? She and the children could, apparantly, be joined to our health cover but that doesn't give her the independence she wants especially if she moves on to live alone. We won't be applying for E106s because we don't work, my husband through kidney problems for 10 years and me for 6 years due to a stroke and anyway we are here already. She doesn't need to apply for Incapacity Benefit so Beryl I just don't understand your answer!

    Saying she should stay in the UK is strange, why should she when she cannot go anywhere except sleep on the streets with a five year old and a three year old until the council manage to get her husband out of the flat? Surely she and the children are safer here with us? She already speaks fairly good French but needs to get up to speed for working and she is prepared to do that, she just needs the support which we are able to give. She is not 'running away' anyone coming to France could be classified as running away. You ae in France, why are you here and what did you run away from? A dull job, an abusive partner, rotten weather? All reasons to be here. Or did you run to something? In our daughter's case a more secure and emotionally less hostile environment, where the children are happier too.




  12. My daughter and her husband have signed an agreement that she can take the children out of the UK and he has agreed to pay her maintenance.

    She has nowhere else to go so she has to come to us. She has the right to stay in their property as it was provided by the council for  the children and the person who has custody, which is her. However, her husband won't leave. She cannot fight anymore and if she moves anywhere else she has no support. This is not something she is doing without realising how hard it will be.

    Medical benefits are adamant that due to the fact she hasn't worked for a long enough period of time independently she cannot use E106 because that is for people who have worked before leaving.

    Unfortunately chasing him for money won't happen from France, but realistically we don't expect him to pay up. We are sortiing out the child benefit so that she gets what is due to her. There is no way she can stay in the UK. He has made it clear he doesn't want her around and although no physical abuse has taken place she feels mentally ground down. She will have support from a lot of people we have contacts with here who are prepared to help her with language and work; in fact she will have more support and opportunity here than in England!

    I need to know if anyone else has been through this situation and what the answer was to get into the health system especially with a child who needs regular medical attention.



  13. Due to the breakdown of her marriage and the situation with her husband my daughter and her children aged 5 and 3 are coming to live with us in France.

    We are fully integrated into the health system and due to both of receiving Incapacity Benefit both my husband and I are covered 100%.

    I spoke to Medical Benefits in England about my daughter and the children (one of whom needs regular medication through chronic asthma) and they say they are not sure that they will not receive medical cover as my daughter has only worked part time since last August. They are of course covered in the UK and my grandaughter receives her treatment regularly and has been hospitalised a few times due to the severity of her condition.

    One suggestion the man I spoke to came up with was they become dependants on our E121 and then CPAM contact the International Medical Benefits section via an E107.

    The fact her marriage has broken down and she has no real qualifications or language skills scares my daughter as well as taking the children away from their father, but he is the one who wants them to come to France and she is prepared to do so due to the situation within the home environment. She wants to get her language skills up to date, turn her life around and hopefully find an a job and home of her own.

    Has anyone else been in this situation where, due to the fact they haven't worked for a long period, are not entitled to the E106 and therefore perhaps not entitled to health care in France?  We are now worried for her and the children. As what was to be a positive new start seems to be collapsing around our ears; and her husband isn't bothered.



  14. We haven't received our Incapacity Benefit for November.

    When we contacted DWP International section we were told that they had changed banks from The Bank of Scotland to CityBank Ireland and 'there had been problems with France especially with Credit Agricole' who of course happen to be our bank!

    We had the October payment via Citybank Ireland, no problems and I would have thought if there was going to be a problem it would be with the first one.

    We were told my payment was sent and returned then reissued and my husband's should be there in 'a couple of days.' Nothing has happened. We still have direct debits to pay, have charges mounting up and cannot use the bank account due to lack of funds. The bank manager has been brilliant, checked and found nothing has even tried to get to our account and is rechecking now we have a reference number to the payment. I will 'probably get two payments the begining of December.' No help at the moment.

    They say it is a problem with Credit Agricole so is anyone else having the same problem? If so we would love to hear from you.



  15. We lost our cat this week so can understand how it feels to lose a pet.

    Tiggy was real country cat  born and bred. She lived in the country and would only come in to eat, if it rained or it was really, really cold! If we tried to keep her in she caused havoc.

    Despite her being very standoffish and prefering to be out doing her own thing (what I dare not ask!) she was very much a part of the family and I swear I hear her calling.

    My thoughts are with everyone who has lost a pet.


  16. I am going to start helping at our local adult education centre with the Adult English class and the teacher is helpful with material and sending me private students.

    I found two magazines in our local Tabac one is called The World in English Today and the other Go! English en anglais pour les Français. Both are articles about English speaking countries with grammar and vcocabulary, games etc; Go!English has a website www.goenglish.fr and the are the sort of things I used in Adult Education classes in England to learn French.

    To actually teach in an Adult Education estabishment you need qualifications but if it is just on a private one to one basis or as an assistant to help the students with their speaking practice it is different, I was expalined this by the teacher I am going to help. I am in it just for the enjoyment and any pupils I get are a bonus.



  17. I obtained my retirement after almost two years of fighting to get IHR. I had a stroke in 2000 and was in a wheelchair, I was also  still receiving  medical certificates from my GP when I was told I would have to report for work on a given date!

    what I found most upsetting was that there is no guidance set down with timescales for when things will happen, we continually had to ask for updates and when I was refused IHR I was told I could appeal. We appealed and received a letter telling us we couldn't appeal on the grounds we had appealed on. It was only after that we were told the grounds we could appeal on!

    The process took so long and there is no information given when you apply to retire on IHR grounds. I am claiming compensation for the lack of due care taken by the Civil service and my union have been negotiating on my behalf. Unfortunately, the union rep left my claim in his in tray for so long and despite my and the head office trying to get things going it just dragged on. The Union Secretary intervened and things have now progressed.

    My view is that when someone applies for IHR they should be given a pack detailing the procedure, even if it is a long process this should be explained. timescales should be given for both sides and if these timescales cannot be met then contact should be made asking for an extension but at least contact will be maintained. The grounds for an appeal should be made clear and the applicant should not be left to flounder in the dark.

    I have been told that timescales cannot be implicated because it would prove inflexible. I don't believe this and intend to do what I can to improve things for future applicants. I was lucky enough to have my husband to assist me in my application but what about those who are alone and have to fight to get their IHR?

    In one letter from the Civil Service I was told to just get on and live with things, in effect live with it. My condition hasn't suddenly become different I am in the same position but I think that it is believed giving IHR will suddenly make someones's condition improve overnight.

    To fight this and make improvements for the future I need to have details of the problems faced by applicants.



  18. Has any other reader taken Ill Health Retirement from the British Civil Service?

    What were your experiences?

    I have had some really awful ones and am claiming compensation, I would like to know how other people coped and what their reaction is to the process.

    If you could contact me I would be grateful as I intend to fight the Civil Service to get the procedures changed as at the moment there are no set down regulations/timescales/updates on the procedure which is complicated and tedious.



  19. Montbard Cricket club want palyers. The present players come from all over Burgundy from as far apart as Tournus and Chablis.

    They play teams from all over France and further afield. If you can bat, bowl, field practice your googlies, silly mid offs, bowling your maiden overs and brush off your whites.


    President Richard Parsons  03 80 96 22 75  [email protected]

    Secretary François Everson 03 80 49 04 93  [email protected]

    If you play for a team outside Burgundy contact the club as they would like more teams to play against too.

  20. If you live in Burgundy the Montbard Cricket Club are looking for players and people interested in the game. All nationalities are welcome. If you can bowl, field, bat then they want you. Montbard's Maire and town have provided a pitch and help maintain it.

    Players come from all over Burgundy from as far apart as Tournus and Chablis.

    If you play for a team in other parts of France, or England or anywhere else, they would also like to hear from you as they need teams to play against. There are two tournaments a year as well. They play teams from various parts of France and the Embassy in Paris, 1 hour by TGV from Paris.


    President  Richard Parsons  03 80 96 22 75   [email protected]

    Secretary François Everson  03 80 49 04 93  [email protected]

    Looking forward to hearing from you so practice your googlies, silly mid offs, bowling your maiden over and brush off those whites!





  21. I live just a little further south near Montbard. Generally the weather compared to southern england is hotter in the summer (around 30 - 35 degrees) and colder in the winter ( the temperature goes down to about -13 degrees or so).

    The summer weather usually lasts well into September and the extreme cold is mostly in January/February.

    There are a few British and other english speakers spread throughout the Burgundy region and you might try the web site below for more details. This is a non profit making association for english speakers.

    Hope this info helps


    Charallais Other Half  



  22. I have suffered three strokes over the years and have the joy of have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well.

    In May I collapsed and had the embarassment of going to hospital nearby then being flown by helicopter to Dijon. After many tests I was relieved to find I hadn't had another stroke but I still couldn't walk so I was sent to a centre de reeducation (rehab).

    These places are wonderful. I had my own room with toilet and wash basin, television and phone. The rehabilitation involved occupational therapy, physiotherapy, relaxation therapy. that was 45 mins of OT and 1hour of physio in the morning then 30 mins in the pool followed by 1 hour of physio in the afternoon.

    Great unless you have CFS. The regime was too much for me. I collapsed twice in the first week. The staff couldn't (or wouldn't) understand that with CFS it is softly softly. As I was the only English person and they couldn't speak English I ahd an almighty battle on my hands. If I was there I had to do the therapy they told me. After 4 weeks I came home and am now recouperating under my own steam. I also had trouble because my cholesterol is too high and the consultant in France has given me a diet plan to stick to what ever it takes but that was too complicated for the kitchens! and I am alergic to all milk products and they couldn't handle that until I told them I would throw up and make their work harder!

    The general health service is great and my GP here is fantastic but when they don't recognise a condition or you don't fit into a pigeon hole it gets too complicated.

    Has anyone else had problems like this? Are there any other CFS/ME sufferers? Where do you find help in France?


{template="widgetContainer" group="global" app="core" params="'footer', 'horizontal'"https://www.frenchentree.com/}
  • Create New...