Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Sasha's Achievements


Newbie (1/14)



  1. Hi there Like a lot of things its all down to cost. We started treating our timber and ralised it was going to cost a lot. DIY material in large cans ranging from €50 - €70 and 2 were required + upon reading the can it was recommended to complete every year. Over 10year period this would = €500- €700 and no guarantee. Firm of professionals came in did a complete survey used industrial materials all in 1 day and issued a guarantee for 10years and all for under €1000. So it's really a matter of choice. Regards Bono
  2. We're thinking of building a house in 46 near Gourdon and doing some costings. I've managed a few but would like some input from forum readers. Costs are for materials only and based on a 3 bedroom single storey dwelling of approx 150m2 1: Electrics. 2: Readymix concrete, including all posible extras. 3: Ceptic tank and fittings. 4: Charges for man and digger. Many thanks Bono
  3. Wow!!! With charges like that I imagine you won't get too much work, however the going rate for gardening work...grass cutting, hedge trimming, strimming and clearing up afterwards is €15- €20 per hour irespective of what gadgets you use and who they belong too. I assume your registered and so your charges will have to cover your payments made to various bodies. I'm a single operator, registered and charge €15per hour. Good luck. Bono
  4. Hi there hope someone can help... we have been here for 2 yrs now and our 12 year old (almost 13) grand-daughter has been living with us and now attends the local college. She's not the brighest kid on the block, really does not want to learn french and so this affects all her other learning. We sense she is unhappy but do not know what to do. Is there a small school in the Limoges area that provides a basic education at college level to a small group of children and who do not hold onto the idea that all children must be educated to a high level wheather capable of doing so or not? Any suggestions would be appreciated but not home education.
  5. naturally the answer is yes and I would say a lot of us do despite some of the problems experienced.However I'm surprised to read that some people believe that everyone does it. Have a look at the number of UK reg'd cars with UK plates and no UK tax disc and I've seen a lot in my area. These cars are being driven by the same ex-pats who use a known UK address (maybe a friend or member of the family) as a legitimate address to give false information to insurance companies and then smugly driving around France as if on hoiliday whislt actually residing there.One good thing is that some insurance companies are getting wise to this and are now asking for proof of return date of the holiday. Also recently in Sarlat a UK ex-pat was brought to court for a drink driving offence. He was still driving a UK reg'd car despite the fact he had been living in France for many years and that earned him an additional €1000 fine. Bono
  6. It's all very well doing consultancy work where in reality the work is for UK based people and indeed arrangements can be made regarding payments. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is the right way!! If you do work of any kind, for any length of time for cash reimbursment then you have to register yourself. It can be as simple or as complicated as you make it. I'm semi-retired and came over here with no intentions of setting up a business, however my hobby of gardening evolved into 'work' and so I had to register. My intentions are to work no more than 20hrs a week and yes there is money to pay but it's not all doom and gloom at the moment as some of the payments will only be due once my income has been declared which is at the end of 2005. Here are some tips that I picked up that may help. 1. Make sure that you or your partner speak French, don't forget the people you are dealing with are not there just to help the English. 2. Know exactly what you are going to do. This may sound daft but you need to know to ensure that you talk to the right people... the people who look after gardeners do not look after car salesmen. 3. Research on the web. By doing this you can do all your homework in a stress free environment and indeed down load some of the forms and have questions ready. 4. Be prepared for at least several visits. Unless your really lucky, or just foolhardy, the first visit will just be to get answers and you should go home and make up your mind, there are no obligations util you sign the paperwork and hand over the small registration fee. 5. Ask for any exemptions, reduced payments,etc,etc. They will exist but like any government dept whether in Franch or the UK, they won't tell you unless you ask. 6. Check the opening hours as some depts are open right through lunch time, strange but true, and these can be the quietest times to visit without appointments. Don't forget you won't be able to advertise unless your registered and so, even a part time job will not succeed. Oh! one other thing don't forget,you can stop at any time but ensure you inform the dept your with and in that way costs will be kept to a minimum. It's no good going on paying out money if your not making it..too much stress. Regards Bono
  7. Hi there If rotovating is the answer then be sure to get rid of as many of the perenial weeds as possible before starting...sounds daft I know but many of these weeds propogate when cut or disturbed and mulitply many times over the following year. Once the soil has been rotovated let it sit for a few weeks to let any frosts break it up (if it's a clay soil) and then add loads of well rotted horse manure. Warning, if ground has not been cultivated for a numbers of years then there is a risk of wireworm damage to some veg planted next year. Suggest you buy the "Rustica" series of books as they advise what to plant and when and any possible problems. Good luck Sasha
  8. Hi there If you go to your local Marie they may well have the name of local farmers who sell logs. Prices vary depending on type of wood. Oak is the dearest, but the best, as it gives off a lot of heat and little ash. Most come in 1.0m lengths ready for cutting, to have them cut to your desired size will cost more. Regards Sasha
  9. Can someone out there help me with this? Up to now I've done all the renovation work to the house myself and I'm about to convert the attic. It already has proper flooring supported on new floor joists and a standard loft ladder in a make-shift opening. I want to install a proper staircase in a new location which will involve making a new opening and therefore cutting one of the joists. I know it's not just a matter of cutting a hole so can anyone help and are there any web sites, etc that would show such an operation diagramatically. Many thanks Bono
  10. I would be interested in comments and advice on the following. Due to re-organisation within the company my Dad took early retirement and both he and my Mum moved over to France to live in the house they bought a couple of years ago. Both are in their mid fifties and are not "officially" retired. Dad has no desire to go into full time employment, nor needs to, but he has always been interested in gardening, indeed back in the UK he looked after a couple of gardens near where they lived,and would love to follow up a couple of requests he received whilst over in France. Questions (1) Does he need to set up and register for something that will ammount to no more than 12 hrs a week? (2) What are the accepted options open to him? (3) Can he just declare any extra income on his tax returns? He would love to continue with his gardening but not do anything under handed. I await you input. Many thanks Bono
  11. Hi there It's the new style of business now days and it's not just in France. For over 6 years I work long hours for a UK company creating new markets in Ireland and Scotland. In 2002 1 week after returning from holiday I was advised I was being made redundant,reason being that the accounts manager required savings and my regions, being new where the ones to get the chop. No notice No discussion, no huge redundancy pakage and not a leg to stand on. At 55 It's a blow, but hey it's in the past and really it was it that spurred me on to come and live hear. Advice for your friend: Life is not a rehersal and any job that creates this type of unhealthy environment is not worth it...chances are they're in trouble so GET OUT NOW!! Regards Mike
  12. Hi there As your allergic to bee stings I suggest you seek out a bee keeper, there's always one about somewhere, who will only be too happy to get rid of them for you. Regards Mike
  13. Hi there Interesting posting and replies. A few things i would like to add. 1. The French government is making cut backs in education and is proposing the closure of a lot of rural schools this will mean jobs for foreigners will be hard to get in this field. 2. Having TEFL will be of little use in a school as one must have a proper teaching qualification. It could be used for teaching english in other environments. 3. Office environment would be as the others say but onr small factor which would need to be mastered...the key board on French computers is different and does take time to get used to. Good luck Sasha
  14. Hi there Most shrubs and trees require "watered-in" when planting and require an ample supply of water in the first few months of growing irrespective of when they are planted. The best time for planting is during the plants actual growing season when all its energy is put into establishing new growth both above and below ground. GARDENA, make a full range of tools and equipment for the garden and indeed have a irregation system which uses a battery powered time clock fitted directly to the outside tap and a series of hoses distributed around the garden...ideal for ensuring that there is ample water in the garden although this year that is not a problem...drowning will be the most likely cause of death to new plants. Good luck Sasha
  15. Hi there You will find that in most major towns there are commercial zones which will have many, many large stores that specialise in what you need. The biggest would be BUT and Conforama who sell all household items like seating, beding, electrical goods, etc and the chances are that when you see them the others will be close by. One note:- when buying a bed it's a different operation than in the UK. First you buy the frame, then you choose the matress support and then the matress. Good luck Sasha
  • Create New...